Sunday, November 30, 2008

Star Power

It seemed so odd to be setting the table for 5 as I prepared for last night’s dinner party. The sixth person, the one who had connected 3 of us through Blogging, was no longer speaking to me and would therefore not be in attendance.

As my guests arrived and we munched on the empanadas that seemed to have miraculously turned out, I realized how strong relationships have a way of surviving, even when one falls away. Those of us who knew her missed her, but no one mentioned her name.

My guests ranged in height from 5'0" to 6'6", but intellectually we were all quite even. We talked about favorite books, about H’s life in Brussels, about S’s years in Morocco, about A’s novel in progress. My husband was the perfect host. Even Jake was quite content as he lay under the table at our feet.

It was a vegetarian meal that left everyone feeling full, but not stuffed the way meat often does. The main dish, contributed by one of my guests, was a baked rigatoni casserole with pumpkin and cashews and other savory ingredients. In addition to the empanadas, I made an apsaragus-gruyere ravioli soup with lots of ginger and dill, a red and yellow beet salad, and java cake with fresh berries. We finished off the last white wine brought back from Italy and then started on a bottle of red.

As we lingered at the table, I realized we were seated in the shape of a star, a very strong structure. As much as I would have welcomed the sixth guest, I thoroughly enjoyed my star-shaped evening with wonderful, interesting friends.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I also cooked for five yesterday, the two carpenters, my dad, Reza and myself. Since these guys were all doing lots and lots of work, my menu was a little on the heavier side. I started out with turkey chili and crackers. Followed by boneless ribs, cheese and salami, steamed broccoli and homemade applesauce. It was a pleasure to cook for big eaters. There were no ribs left and just a little applesauce. It was nice to sit around the table and watch these men eat.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I would have loved to have been the sixth guest!! I could even have contributed some original Argentinian empanada recipes (in Spanish). Don`t be sad about the missing guest, Barbara. Relationships come and go, and a person who does not really really fit to you (anymore) would only have spoiled your wonderful party.
I wonder if you got the email I sent you?

12:55 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

good food, good conversation, good friends - what more can you ask for?

2:52 PM  
Blogger pbrownie50 said...

We were missing a whole family at our Thannksgiving.. Kelly's and my sister's family. It was different in the communication area.. but still lively and fun. The food was good and a little different because we didn't have to worry about an alternative veggie diet or two. Still no one stuffed and that was good.

Kelly's brother Pat

5:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- Turkey chili sounds delicious! Sounds like a great meal for some hungry guys.

Angela -- You have a standing invitation to dinner at my house! I'll bet your empanadas are fantastic. If they are Argentine, they have meat in them!

Pauline -- You are so correct. Who could ask for anything more?

Pat -- Welcome! It's hard not to stuff when everything is so good. I'm sure you felt the absence of part of your family.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It really does sound like a great night; I'm glad you had fun.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Seems like an interesting group. About 10 years or so ago(probably more)I worked as a waiter in someone's home that was attended by a bunch of popular authors (Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Fagles,etc) and as I passed the trays of food I thought "I should be sitting here discussing literature with these folks" rather than cleaning up after them. I thought 'one day'. You are there. That is truly excellent.

7:21 PM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

An apsaragus-gruyere ravioli soup with lots of ginger and dill...

Oh, YUMS. This sounds de-vine!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It's nice to feel relaxed at your own dinner party and I did the entire evening. It was fun to re-connect with these people and to introduce them to each other.

Gary -- You happen to know the S part of the star. You would have fit right into our conversation. Please come visit again, won't you?

LiLu -- It's a super simple soup that I created from things I happen to like. Here's how to make it:

Saute chopped onions, minced ginger, and sliced shitake mushrooms in a small amount of lemon olive oil for about 3 minutes on medium high heat. Add chicken/vegetable broth, chopped dill, ravioli of any variety, and a dollop of salsa. Cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes until ravioli are done. Enjoy the aroma as you eat your bowl of soup!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

It sounds like you assembled an interesting and fun group of people for an incredibly delicious meal!

1:29 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It was a wonderful night, Barbara -- you and David really were the consummate hosts. I loved the gingery soup, and A's pumpkin ziti was great. The conversation was terrific. Thanks again!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

sounds delish--I didn't know Steve was in your area until I saw his flickr photos.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home