Sunday, January 18, 2009

Free Food

Yesterday I got an offer I couldn’t refuse. A good friend who doesn’t own a car was accepted into a CSA which operates year-round. She offered me a chance to split her weekly share for FREE.

My only responsibilities will be to pick up our food each week, deliver her half to her, and twice a year to help package the food for everyone in our Capitol Hill CSA. Sounds like a win-win to me!

I’m intrigued by the pick-up point: Timor Bodega (pictured above) in the Bloomingdale neighborhood of DC. Looks like an unlikely place to find pesticide-free food. But apparently this little grocery story has a long-standing reputation. (I nabbed the photo from this post about it.) I will get to see first-hand this Wednesday when I make my first pick-up. Then I can replace the photo with one of my own.

My friend and I will have to work out the details of how to split things that don’t come in multiples of 2, like a single loaf of bread. But I’m sure we can figure it out. We’ve meditated together for years and are both fairly laid back and logical when it comes to things like sharing.

In the absence of my former CSA, which takes a 3-month break in the winter, I have been going to the Dupont Circle Farmers’ Market each week to find local produce. It will be nice not to have to make those decisions about whose beets, whose apples to buy, especially when the weather is uncomfortably cold. I much prefer letting someone else decide.

Who knows? Maybe my adventure into the world of new vegetables will continue as I discover what the Spiritual Food CSA has to offer. I like the name of my new organization, don’t you?

15 Comments:

Blogger rachaelgking said...

This is a great idea. I'm hoping there's a little farmer's market about to open on a corner in my neighborhood (9th and N NW), where they had Christmas trees in December and pumpkins in the fall... but if not, I would definitely do something like that!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

What an excellent idea! Good to have a friend you can share with. My best friend lives nearby and we've shared food items over the decades but we've never gotten organized about it... this inspires me to get organized with it--thank you. Nice little bodega too-- when I was growing up there was one on every corner. Now not as many...

I deleted my previous comment due to typos.

11:38 AM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

We've been members of a CSA for many years, but this year I think we've decided for financial reasons to try and grow some of our own. We'll see how that works out. When we lived out in the back beyond, we had a big garden, but now we will see what we can do in several containers . . .

11:59 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LiLu -- The pick-up point for this CSA isn't that far from you. If you want info, e-mail me at barbara.diskin@verizon.net. There's nothing like local produce, even in the winter!

AvidReader -- I'm anxious to check out the bodega on my first pick-up this week. I like the idea of a communal approach to food!

Tut-tut -- Good luck with the gardening project. I'm a much better cook than I am a gardener!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I like that you have gone year-round GSA... I am still trying to figure out where I am going to join, I am in two worlds right now, at different ends of the bay area... do I pick up at my non-cooking end? Do I pick up at my cooking (but jam-packed end?). ::laugh::: such a dilemna!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- I would think you should join where you have access to refrigeration.

BTW, I tried to send you an e-mail and it bounced back. I think Hotmail and Verizon are at war!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I would like to share a slice of chocolate cake with you.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Oh Squirrel -- Yes, or an adorable chocolate cupcake! Maybe we can make it happen this year.

4:32 PM  
Blogger e said...

How lucky for you to have someone with whom to share, and have this year-round! I wonder what the bodega is like inside?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- I'll take my camera on Wednesday and show you what it looks like on the inside!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Definitely a great deal! I'm already desperate for fresh vegetables and a new source during the long months of absence.

7:25 PM  
Blogger e said...

Thanks! I'll look forward to the photos. Have you seen my Blog today?

7:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I came to rely on the Food Matters crate each week and really missed it when the break started.

E -- Great MLK post.

9:45 PM  
Blogger e said...

Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on the second photo ssince you take more pictures than I do???

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chuckled at your reporting of the photo credits and plans! Very conscientious of you. :-)

The plan definitely sounds like a win-win for you! I suspect that spontaneous vegetables showing up in your life will inspire some more patented Recipes from Barbara!

I am now nearer to a farmers' market than I used to be, and look forward to exploring its offerings...

--F.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home