Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Musical Clothes

How many times have you gotten rid of a piece of clothing not because it was worn out or the wrong size, but simply because you were tired of looking at it, embarrassed to wear it yet again? What if you could simply pass it along to someone else and at the same time get something gently used for yourself?

As my friend M and I talked over coffee yesterday, she offered me the chance to acquire any of the things she is going to get rid of in an upcoming move – things like cashmere sweaters! She commented that we were about the same size and she would love to see them used by someone else instead of sitting unworn in her closet.

I threw out an idea for a continuing clothes exchange that wouldn’t cost anyone a cent, but would result in a constantly changing wardrobe. It would require a handful of people with a similar size and compatible tastes. At the beginning of each month or each season, each person would choose 5-10 pieces of (clean/laundered) clothing or jewelry and pass them along to the next person. It would be like getting an infusion of new things on a regular basis.

There are good clothes in my closet that get little wear these days. But I’m not quite ready to part with them. With this rotational scheme, they could remain in the “system”, but just be “in circulation”.

For someone who never had a sister from whom to borrow clothes, this seems like making up for lost time. What do you think? Any size 8's out there who are game to give it a go? (This need not be restricted to locals!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Fire Byrd said...

Great idea... but I'm too far away.
What we've been doing in the UK is having frock swop parties and having some real fun trying on each others stuff. And for as many things as you bring then you can take as many away. Anything left over is taken to a trift shop.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Fire Byrd -- I love the idea of a frock swap party. I knew you and I had a similar way of looking at things!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not close enough (in size or in location) to participate, but love the idea of "musical clothes!"

--F.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Great Idea! You have to figure in height too, a 6 foot tall size 8 and a 5 foot tall size 8 may not be able to trade easily.

If I get tired of a dress, but it's like new, I have it turned into a blouse by my local seamstress and wear it with jeans.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Too bad. I'll bet we would have fun swapping clothes.

Squirrel -- Yes, for many things height would be an important consideration. But for many others -- jackets, blouses, scarves, jewelry -- it might not matter so much.

Good idea about recycling your own clothes and finding a way to continue to wear them. My artsy daughter is very good at chopping off and hemming up; she's always been better at re-making than making!

10:15 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

When I get down to an *8* I'll let you know...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I have a bunch of size 8 slacks which I would love to exchange with someone because I seem to permanently be a 6--It's been 18 months now at this size.
Creating an exchange with other women here would be fruitless since no one else has warm clothing either! My eating style has changed drastically since retirement and I believe this is my "old lady" weight. :) Am not unhappy about it but preparing to travel to DC has created something of a dilemma. I need warm slacks and none of mine fit me. I absolutely do NOT want to buy clothes. You may see me in jeans with tights underneath, Barbara!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home