Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wise Thoughts

“We do not receive wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness, which no one else can make for us, which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world.”

– Marcel Proust

I found this little gem at the beginning of “Buddhism Without Beliefs” by Stephen Batchelor. I hope his writing is as profound as that of Proust.

Another profound thought, this one from "The Sabbath" by Abraham Joshua Heschel:

A thought has blown the market place away.
There is a song on the wind and joy in the trees.
Shabbat arrives in the world,
scattering a song in the silence of the night:
Eternity utters a day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I couldn't agree more!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I added Heschel's thoughts on Shabbat after services today and also after you made your comment!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Joseph Campbell's writes of this in The Hero's Journey. There is always something to discover through taking on a challenge, somewhat against our will, but plowing through to where self discovery and change reside. I find these bits of thought to be ones that I need to digest slowly. To ponder and let the full flavor dwell in me.

You have inspired me to do a bit more reading of good ol' Joe today. Perfect for a cold winter's night.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my "experiential beliefs" is that even the darkest, most wrenching experience has some silver lining, even if it may not be apparent at the time. Cliche, but true in my lifetime, and thus a comfort. Thanks for the reminder, Barbara!

Joseph Campbell -- perfect cold night-time reading, indeed! I'll light a candle for you.

--F.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I've thought of you a lot this week as I collected my books on SNOW in preparation for my read-aloud with the shelter children next week. I was able to find several of the books you recommended and I thank you for the ideas!

I hope you enjoy your adult reading tonight. A dark cold winter night is a great time to plunge into serious reading. I must find the Joseph Campbell book.

Anon -- My recent life is indeed proving your silver lining theory to be true. Sometimes the real prize is in that lining I think!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home