Saturday, February 28, 2009

Let There Be Color



It was quite an interesting afternoon as we moved most every room in our house in a slightly different direction from Natural Echo. I could almost feel the interior designer’s head working as he contemplated and then made his recommendations.

Jerry is an extremely interesting guy. He currently lives on St. Croix, having had a varied and exciting life before moving there. He spent many of his formative years in Sweden. He was a special assistant to President Clinton, where he worked in the capacity of organizational management.

At some point he managed to get a master’s in interior design from the Corcoran. Now he calls on both of those degrees to answer the needs of clients worldwide.

He came armed with a huge box of color chips that literally covered the rainbow. As we toured the house initially, I could already see him starting to formulate ideas. He loved the openness and light and worked hard to enhance them in every room.

He quickly dismissed blues and most greens from our palette because our house feels more like yellows to him. The paint chips above represent many of his choices, leaving out a couple like Chinese Red for which he didn’t leave a sample. They are all exciting colors when used in combination. In some rooms we will leave the trim in the current Natural Echo shade, but often the color scheme is much warmer and more interesting.

I am the world’s worst when given a set of paint chips. It was so much fun to work with someone who really knows how the paint looks on the walls.

The good news is if we try something he recommended and don’t like it, he will make a new recommendation at no extra charge. My guess is Jerry usually gets it right the first time.

Now if the stock market would just rebound, we could afford to go out and buy the paint!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the direction you're going! The room I recently "colored" (the one you know about, which I may or may not end up getting to enjoy) has walls like your yellowish and pumpkin-ish chips in the photo, with room accents of deeper pumpkin/spice, golds, orangey-reds, warm tans...

Can't wait to peek over your shoulder as you proceed!

F.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The colors are lovely and warm.........like the two of you! I think you will love whatever you choose.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

His color palette is very condusive to craftman style... browns and golds can be very warm and inviting. I taught in a school that had that color of orange as an accent color... very 70's :::grin::: I think of it as tomato soup orange/red.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Your house DOES feel much more yellow-ish than blue-ish, now that you mention it! I think with that palette you'll have great success. (Never knew there was such a thing as a master's in interior design...hmmm...)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

how exciting - color and light and change. It will be like having a new house! Can't wait to see the finished product.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Warm tones--these are the colors that my house was when we bought it--1970s era earth tones, they are back in style again and are very comforting. I don;t think you can go wrong with earth tones. Love the shade of green here,

9:36 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Kellyann is spot on--they are arts & crafts bungalow style colors. My niece just purchased a Craftsman style home, I'll have to mention this palette to her--the house is filled with blues and greys and of course she wants to redecorate anyway... she loves bittersweet, pumpkin and spice tones, too.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

The light coming into your house looks very cool-toned, like you might have a lot of trees around, or maybe it was just a cloudy day. In any case, the warm palette that you've chosen looks like it will balance that light perfectly and make your house more cozy.

It would be really cool for you to post a "before and after" of each room after the painting is all finished!

10:48 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

it was fun to see the photos in an earlier post of the rooms now....adding color to walls is so fun!

yesterday I was visiting friends and their house is so colorful and bright .....I find color always inspiring....

I always call the color in our living room paprika red.... although I don't know what the real color name is, the color always seems to delight people.

I have been longing to repaint a couple of the rooms I didn't paint when we moved in a few years ago, but it's hard to muster up the energy to clear the rooms......but this month my daughter is starting the process of moving from one flat to another and before she moves her stuff she wants to paint ...so I'll be able to get my color and painting ya-ya's out with empty rooms!!!! I like painting, it's just sometimes the prep work I find paralyzing (the clearing out the clutter part, that is - I don't even mind the taping and draping)

1:32 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I bought a Lavender shirt this weekend. I describe it as "Formal, and Familiar, Masculine yet Tres Sensitive"...
i painted a room with blacklight coors once....you couldn't really asee it till you turned out the lights and turned on the black light....it was really a trip.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home