Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hands and Feet


I decided to treat my feet to a pedicure today since I haven’t been able to reach them in 5 weeks -- not to cut my toenails, not to clean between my toes, not to apply lotion.

I returned to Capitol Nails, where my friend and I had enjoyed manicures and pedicures last summer and then gone out for a drink afterwards.

It seemed so long ago and so much has happened in the months since then. My friend has removed herself from my life, or me from hers; we’ve had a change in the administration; the economy has gone belly up; and I broke my hip and got a new one.

From the outside the nail salon was the same old place. But inside as I had my pedicure, I wasn’t conversing with someone sitting next to me and my technician wasn’t chattering in Vietnamese with the technician at the next chair. Mostly because we were the only ones in the place for the first half hour. It was not quite the same fully booked nail salon as the last time I had visited.

What a luxury for my poor neglected feet to be trimmed and pumiced and massaged with a warm water bath in between each step. I opted for no polish, just the many other parts of the pedicure and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.

Then I decided I might as well treat my hands as well since they work hard for me too. So I had a similar treatment, with no polish once again but buffing instead.

It will not take me so long to visit Amy again, my technician who actually remembered me from my one and only visit last summer. We learned little more than each other’s name because of her discomfort with English. But her skill with hands and feet more than made up for her lack of communication.

Lunch out afterwards with my husband and friends was a nice way to celebrate a beautiful almost Spring day.

10 Comments:

Blogger A Concerned Citizen said...

Glad you had a good day out. Manicures and pedicures are such wonderful things, especially if you're feeling a bit down and/or you haven't had one in a while. I used to get them routintely, when I was working and had money, and then I stopped on the theory that that was something I could do for myself. I never did as good a job as my trusted nail technician, though. About a month ago, I had my first mani/pedi in over a year, and it felt great. I'm sure yours did as well.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Adrianne -- I never considered a manicure or pedicure to be an essential, the way I might look at other therapies. But they are luxuries I occasionally enjoy completely. Today was one of those days.

3:36 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

I've never had either. But yoga and pilates fill the bill for me.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

how lovely to have some pampering, you certainly deserve it after all you have been through.
And lunch afterwards, what more could anyone want.
x

5:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tut-tut -- I would dearly love some yoga and pilates right about now. Soon I hope...

Fire Byrd -- Absolutely: What more could anyone want?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a pedicure (or manicure, for that matter) -- but I vicariously enjoyed yours -- thanks for that, and I'm so glad that you did this for yourself!

F.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- When you come visit me, I will invite you to join me for a pedicure at Capitol Nails. You will love it I guarantee!

xx, B

9:58 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Aww you should've gone for a fish pedicure - while they're still legal!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great way to treat yourself! I haven't been in far too long, but I haven't come nearly as far as you. Your recovery is amazing and amazingly hard work, I'm sure. You deserve a little pampering.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- Aww shucks, Capitol Nails didn't offer the fish pedicure. I had forgotten about that...

Kristin -- I'm always looking for a good excuse to pamper myself!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home