Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Redness of Nature



The day after we pick up our CSA delivery, I often find myself in the kitchen trying to figure out what to do with my latest vegetables. Today I am tackling a magnificent, large head of red cabbage, making it in a German style.

As I cut into things, I was struck by the beauty of the inside of a head of cabbage, by the inside of a red onion.



The redness of the cabbage gets a lot more mixed up after it is shredded.



As the cabbage and apples simmer on the stove, the pot is a lovely mix of redness.



Here’s the recipe:

Braised Red Cabbage with Apples

-- 1 head of red cabbage
-- 2 generous tablespoons of olive oil
-- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced
-- 2 apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
-- Several tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
-- 1 cup chicken broth
-- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
-- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
-- Salt and pepper

Quarter the cabbage and cut away the core. Shred it. In a large stockpot, saute the onions and apples in the olive oil over moderately high heat. After a few minutes, when they begin to soften, add the dill, bay leaves, cabbage, and broth. Cook until the cabbage begins to wilt. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook until the cabbage is soft, stirring occasionally.

I hope it tastes as good as it looks and smells!

6 Comments:

Blogger tut-tut said...

Oh, I love red cabbage done that way. And you're participating in Theme Thursday (theme: vegetable) and don't even know it!

Vegetables make great block printers, too.

3:59 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Good recipe Barb!
I do one similar with Caraway instead of Dill and a little champange if we got it!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I wondered that the recipe did not call for caraway. Actually am glad it doesn't since it is a seed and they are anathema to me. Printed this recipe and will save it since it is definitely a style of food I love! Thanks.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I'll bet that was delicious! I love red cabbage.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds great! I used to make borscht years ago -- talk about REDNESS!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I almost regret my green head this week.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home