Friday, April 17, 2009

Music to make you feel good



Two very different and very separate stories of music recently warmed my heart. It’s music that brings me most quickly to tears of joy!

One of my former work colleagues sent me an e-mail about work his son is doing in NYC. This is a kid who once was bouncing off the walls and challenging his teachers, but who eventually found his niche in the musical world as a performer, composer, and teacher. He seems to have an understanding of how to get kids motivated to like music. He was contracted by Carnegie Hall to design a music appreciation course for children. But most recently he has been scouting for local talent to support. Check out his latest find: Fly Girlz, a rapping duo who haven’t yet made it to high school, but who are going places with their music. Kudos to Sam for his efforts to help young people find a place in the world of music or at least a love of what they are listening to.



And this week, who wasn’t incredulous at the performance by Scottish Susan Boyle as she sang “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Mis on Britain’s Got Talent 2009? The audience clearly showed everyone’s initial reaction to this woman who looked somewhat like Mrs. Doubtfire. But when she started to sing, we were all mesmerized by her performance. As we learn more about this woman, it becomes clear that she has some learning disabilities and was often the brunt of jokes as she was growing up. But at 47, she has captured the worlds’ interest and left us with a song in our hearts. She stands as the perfect example of why we should never make a snap judgment based simply on what we see.

Music is indeed the food of the gods. Better than any medicine to fix whatever ails me!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

To me music is like a religion. It inspires and fulfills in all of the same ways. And you've shown us some excellent and inspiring examples.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I cannot imagine a world without music. It's the peanut butter to my jelly. The chocolate to my milk. The everything. I love music.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I agree with you, Cyndy and Kristin!!!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I have heard people discussing Susan Boyle for days now but really didn't pay much attention until a friend emailed me a YouTube link of her performance.

I was floored. I watched it three times and actually had tears in my eyes each time. It was an amazing reminder not to judge or dismiss anyone. Even if she didn't blow everyone away with her voice.

Good for 'ol Sue!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

My husband and I were discussing the marvelous video of Susan Boyle and agreed that with all the bad news in the world right now, hers is the story we have all been needing so badly. I think nearly everyone in the world has seen the video. I keep going back whenever I feel the need for a reason to feel good.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Love the Fly Girlz link! I want to go check out Brownsville one of these days in my urban exploring, though it is a tough neighborhood.

I agree the Susan Boyle vid is phenomenal, and it clearly speaks to so many people all over the world. My favorite part is the expression on the judges' faces when she begins singing.

10:03 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

a lovely post, Barbara. And heartwarming to know stories of personal successes: overcoming odds - makes me feel kind of hopeful.

xxx
rdm

12:20 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I love to hear that someone is trying to keep music an integral part of young people's lives. In light of the fact that so many music (and arts) programs are being cut in the school system.

I, too, had tears in my eyes, actually streaming down my face, watching her performance.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home