Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Old and the Young



My day today was all about balancing the very old and the very young. I have new-found respect for both.

We made a quick trip down to Newport News to celebrate my uncle’s 90th birthday. It was rather low-key for so many years. My 62-year-old cousin came down from Friendsville, MD, where he owns a health food store. The 4 of us went to a lunch of sandwiches in the cafe of “The Chesapeake,” a senior facility where my uncle now lives. We split 2 cookies 4 ways for dessert. I gave him a collapsible cane and a can of chocolate macaroons we forgot to serve at our seder last night. We looked at a bunch of old family photos and the few momentos my uncle salvaged from his house of 50 years. He showed us his latest book purchase: Card Games for Dummies, so he can learn to play “those games the ladies here are playing.” He seems happy and well-adjusted, despite being all alone now. He said we would have a steak for his 91st birthday, so obviously he is signing up for another year! I gave my cousin a hug and shook my uncle’s hand (because most of that family are not huggers) and we headed back up the road for what should have been a 2-1/2-hour trip home.

I started to worry when the traffic on I-95 came to a standstill around 4:00. I had to be at the shelter by 6:30 to read. I was in charge tonight, so I didn’t want to miss it. Finally the traffic broke loose with no explanation after about 45 minutes of stop and go.

There were almost as many volunteers as children at the read-aloud. We worked hard to settle squirming bodies onto individual carpet squares. Two children had to be bodily removed from the room for short time-outs. But all in all they did a fairly good job of listening to books about babies and baby animals. We did a “warm-up” for the activity by counting to 100 as a group, with everyone joining in and a 3-year-old doing a break dance in the middle of the circle when we passed the numbers she knew. They each whipped through several pages of dot-to-dots, always somewhat amazed at what animal they formed.

Then they got to each pick an animal finger puppet out of a grab bag. The idea was that they could give the puppet a voice. It quickly became apparent that the animals were channeling a lot of inner feelings in these young children.

As a group we came up with the idea of reading a book and then doing a puppet show the next time it’s our turn to read. If anyone has a book in mind that would give about 6-8 children a part, please let me know.

It was a long day, starting at 6:00 am. We covered 330 miles. I felt like my encounters with both the old and the young today were far too brief. But they left me with a lot to think about.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Where the Wild Things Are?

1:29 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Great post! Lovely to hear that your amazing uncle is going strong, and that you made it in time to read to the youngsters! Oh, and I did enjoy the story about the fairy godmother in the previous post..

3:52 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I have a book in mind called 'The Birthday Party' but I can't remember the author. I just did some Internet searching but the title is too generic and I can't find it. I am on vacation and won't be back in school until the 20th.

It is a short, easy reader that is actually broken up into parts already. A bunch of farm animals are throwing a surprise party for the farmer.

You might also want to check out Starfall.com. They have short plays you can print out.

4:22 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

it sounds as though he's enjoying life at 90, how great

5:58 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

How about any of the books by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin (Click, Clack Moo, Giggle, Giggle Quack and others). There's one called You Can't Come to My Birthday Party! Conflict Resolution With Young Children by Betsy Evans that might prove useful at some point. The Arthur books have lots of characters and might be adaptable or you might find something useful in the Dora and/or Diego books...

the old and the young want the same thing in the end - someone to listen to them!

6:25 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

the day sounds like food for the soul despite its exhausting physical demands (how do you do it??? at night, everything creaks and groans in my body!) I always loved visiting with my great grandmother, my grandfather. What wild stories did they tell!! I wish I had written them down or recorded them. I really do. Now the stories are dim memories. Recounting them would never be the same!!

In our home we love Clack, Clack, Moo: Cows that type a veritable farmyard revolution! and great picture book. There is a sequel to it: Clack, Clack, Quackity-quack. Now the ducks get in on the action!!

much fun.
xxx
rdm

9:43 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

A day well-spent. Good for you!!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That must have been cool to see life at both ends of the spectrum yesterday. I'm glad your uncle is doing so well. What I've observed during my brief encounters with the elderly while playing at retirement communities and nursing homes is that a person's attitude towards life often becomes more exxagerated when they get older, especially in the way that they deal with the various physical challenges that come up. It is so inspiring to me to see elderly people who are happy, in spite of everything. I sure hope that works for me when I get older.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

What a wonderful day, you must have been exhausted, but so satisfied. To spend time with people in ages outside of our normal comfort zone is so rewarding.
xx

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

330 miles and 87 years? That's a lot to cover in one day but, of course, you managed with aplomb and ever-improving mobility.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you this Passover season, dear Barbara! I love your description of your day, the balance of young and old, of giving and receiving, of movement and stillness, etc.

F.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I do appreciate all of your wonderful comments and will pass along the book ideas to the person in charge of our next session. I'm thinking the kids can make finger puppets to match whatever book he ends up choosing.

If you think of anything else, feel free to come back and leave me another thought!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home