Saturday, April 11, 2009

No deeds to do, no promises to keep



Today I woke up to a blank day -- not necessarily empty or boring, just unplanned. There’s not a thing on my agenda. And it feels good as I sit here in my pajamas watching the soft rain fall on the deck to know that there’s no compelling reason to get dressed.

I was reminded of those greeting cards that say “intentionally left blank for your message.” They can become a birthday wish, a get well sentiment, or a greeting to a friend far away. It’s up to you to transform that blank page into the message you wish to convey.

There was a time when I would have looked at an empty day as a challenge to fill it to the brink with cleaning projects or shopping trips or anything to obliterate the emptiness. But that urge is long gone.

It gives me the time to ponder things like how long it will be until my magnificent backyard dogwood comes into bloom. It gives me time to massage Jake’s stomach. It gives me time to watch as my husband takes the last bite of his breakfast cereal while reading the morning paper.

Blankness as a steady diet would be depressing. But a blank day here and there is like a gift of time to use as I wish.

What about you? How do you view a day where anything is possible but nothing is required?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A precious gift! Enjoy!

XO,

F.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

My day was like that too. I read, and read, and read some more. Then, in the afternoon, I braved the rain and went to a movie. Now I'm taking it easy again tonight. I love blank days!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am usually the type to fill each day with something I can call 'productive'. Over the years I am appreciating more and more the blank days. The days without pressure to do anything - even if the anything is something enjoyable. As you write, if this were the norm I would go crazy but every once in a while a blank day is a precious gift.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

A blank day creates its own endeavors. They are among my favorite days of all!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Those are the best days of all! To choose to take a long walk instead of hurrying off to work inside a sunless building, to get lost in garden work or, if it's raining, some necessary housework, to read for hours at a time if I want, or to paint and draw or make something... the choices are always endless and I find the day always ends too soon!

7:43 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

A blank day??? What Is that exactly.

My quest is to find one of those soon.

My day was filled with work, shopping and preparations for my Easter Day for 16.

A blank day...hmmmm. I think I would like one.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love days like that! My day was almost like that with no plans but for a walk Saturday morning with a friend who took boxes and bags for a yard sale. After that, a whole empty day loomed in front of me tinged by a feeling of accomplishment. It was heavenly. It also filled up. Fast. But nothing was planned or expected. Sigh. I need more of those!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home