Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New Toys



I simply can’t go in a cooking store without buying something. So it’s no small surprise I came home from my class last Saturday with new kitchen “toys.”

So many principles of good design are incorporated in these simple tools. They feel good on your hands. Some of them stand up. And they are cute to look at.

I bought the silver strainer after watching Brock demonstrate how to blanch vegetables. I tried it on asparagus last night, popping them into boiling water for a brief cook, and then scooping them out with this strainer to immerse them in ice water. They were crisp and bright green, even though they were cooked to perfection.

The vegetable scraper can be “worn” on any finger of either hand. It’s compact but functional. And I love the bright green. It won’t get lost in any drawer!

The egg whisk is just the right size for an egg or two. I might have to paint a smile on the chicken’s face though.

I watched Brock use the pink pastry brush to apply melted butter to layers of phyllo dough. I could quickly see that it would avoid the bristles that ultimately get stuck together after multiple encounters with olive oil. This little pink brush is dishwasher safe and will be standing ready on the counter.

The best find was the avocado slicer. You cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Then in one swift motion, you come out with beautiful slices to adorn any plate as the skin simply falls away. Very clever indeed.

I could buy 5 new toys every time I walk into Hill’s Kitchen. But if I do, I will need to have a colossal yard sale because my kitchen has only so much space!

What is your favorite kitchen toy?

20 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

My fruit corer/wedge maker. Bought initially to do apples, it works on pears and avocados as well!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

My trusty old kitchen knife. I've got others but they just do not compare to my favourite.
xx

1:52 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Avacado slicer! Genius!
My favorite is a Chinese Chefs Knife.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- Sounds like a useful tool!

Fire Byrd -- We all have a favorite knife.

Bulletholes -- How is a Chinese knife different from an American knife? :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have a favorite knife, too. A chef's knife without which I'm not sure how I ever survived. As for toys, hmmm... My most used impracticality would be my Madeleine pan; though, I do like my nut grinder. And my sifter. Foil cutter. Tart pan... I need a bigger kitchen.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

When I opened this post, the picture did not look like "kitchen" toys to me...

Just shows you how little time I spend in the kitchen! ;)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- Those other "toys" are featured on Velvet's Blog! This one is rated PG-13...

5:50 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

a chef. preferably male.

xxx!
rdm

ps. i couldn't resist. and i REALLY loathe cooking. despite all the cute toys!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

I like good knives, colanders (I eat a lot of berries) and different styles of little stovetop espresso pots and tiny Phin filters for Vietnamese coffee...
fancy tea strainers and sugar tongs for cubes.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Avid -- One of my first kitchen toys was sugar tongs from Norway. You need cubes of sugar to use them!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Your little eggbeater is so cute! My favorite kitchen "toy" is my husband - especially when he cleans up after himself.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I confess my first impulsive thoughts after seeing the photo were also along the lines of Aileen's...

They're not exactly toys, but some of my favorite kitchen items are my Le Creuset cookware, varied sizes and materials of cutting boards, small colander, pie-crust-edge protectors, tiny condiment bowls (which I actually use to hold spices and herbs and garlic when staging a recipe), and an excellent light/fan unit above the stove!

F.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RDM/Cyndy -- Boy toys, indeed!

Anon -- I have only one piece of Le Creuset. It's way too big and heavy to call it a toy! But I do love using it.

For a typical Velvet post dealing with her "toys", go here. She is one of my favorites! She even sent me one once in the mail. Imagine how I explained that little brown package to my husband!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I have my grandmother's old hand rotary egg beater and her green wood-handled potato masher - treasures both.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Isn't it fun to feel the connection to your grandmother when you use those utensils? I have an old-fashioned meat grinder -- you know the one that hooks onto the edge of a table. It will never break because it's non-electric and made of cast iron I'm sure! My uncle found it at a dump (one of his favorite haunts) when I needed one to grind fish for Passover.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I like old egg beaters and rolling pins since they remind me of my mom who could casually bake any delicious French pastry... there's a French bakery here in town and they can't compare to my mother's and grandmother's talents-- these days everyone tries a "modern take" on things... and they lose something in the process of making it more chic, with more toppings, more stylish...

I'm married to someone who loves kitchenware shops, cooking, and gadgets.

9:57 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I gave that same eggbeater to my son this Christmas (it was a perfect stocking stuffer).

My favorite "toy" is my mandoline. I just love ultra-thin slices of anything.

12:36 PM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

I have the little egg whisk! Isn't he so cute you just wanna... I dunno, use it to beat eggs? ;-)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

They really do look like toys, too!

I'm not big on kitchen gadgets, but I have a boiled egg slicer that I think is pretty awesome. And I love my garlic press!

10:34 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Yeah, kitchen gadgets. Right. *nudge*nudge*wink*wink*

I guess you can use 'em in the kitchen, too.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home