Saturday, April 18, 2009

The First Course



I had the greatest educational cooking experience this afternoon. I went to a class called “Small Bites” at the newly opened Hill’s Kitchen on Capitol Hill. It was a 2-hour class devoted to my favorite part of any meal: the appetizers.

Brock Kuhlman, a former chef from the trendy restaurant Sonoma, designed and taught the class in the upstairs level of the store, with its gourmet kitchen and high student stools around a table facing the kitchen.



I was incredulous that our chef instructor took on making all of the following recipes in the space of 2 hours, leaving us time at the end to sample everything while we drank champagne:

Mini Asparagus-Shitake Quiche
Tuna Tartare
Roasted Nuts
Herb-roasted Olives
Gravlax
Tarragon Chicken Pate



After class I approached Brock about a 1-on-1 class around the contents of a CSA crate and he was excited about the idea. It is so exciting to work with someone as adventurous as Brock who doesn’t measure much of anything and who insists on tasting as you go.

I learned a lot today, but started to think about the other courses of the meal and how much I could benefit from additional cooking classes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

What a brilliant concept for cooking class that is! Another reason I wish I were back East for at least part of the year, so I could join you in ventures like this. Never a "cooking class" kind of gal, but more a "seat of the pants" cook, I would have loved this!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- You would have loved the class. All of us were incredibly hungry by the time we got to taste the small bites!

11:49 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

this sounds great

and what a good idea to build a class around CSA

4:18 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

I'd eat a meal of just appetizers. Love Tapas for that reason. When you've learnt all these receipes I'm coming over!!
xx

4:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- I can't wait for the CSA class to make better use of the local bounty!

Fire Byrd -- Yes, come have appetizers with me! I can make some good ones now.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I learned a lot today, but started to think about the other courses of the meal and how much I could benefit from additional cooking classes."

I relate to this so much! As I often tell my students, no matter how deeply you study and how far you go in your music, art, or other passionate pursuit, "the horizon keeps receding..."

F.

2:23 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Barb, I've been inspired by your recent recipes to revive my recipe blog. imaginedeating.blogspot.com.

You must join me in posting some of your recipes.

I have, in the past, taken a few cooking classes at L'Academie de Cuisine in Bethesda. Perhaps we should take a few together? Pretty please.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Yes, there is so much to learn everywhere I look!

Gewels -- I would LOVE to take a cooking class either from you or with you. Here is an idea of what's happening at Hill's Kitchen in terms of classes. I was just talking to another friend tonight about organizing a group of 6 or so people who love to cook and who would be willing to teach each other and then eat whatever we produce! You were one of the first people who came to my mind.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I didn't know the shop started hosting classes. I'm going to have to go!

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home