Thursday, April 02, 2009

Playing Electronic Catch-up



My life has been turned over to something that fits in my pocket. My hand-me-down iPhone is now in charge. And for once I am not resisting new technology!

For years I have prided myself on keeping phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and my calendar in my head. During the last month those spaces have been freed up as the information was gradually loaded on my iPhone.

Several years ago I gave away my iPod to a good friend, who was much more technically savvy than I was and who needed it, whereas I seldom turned it on. Now that I’m becoming so electronic, I’m finally ready to deal with music, so tonight I will start learning how to load it up.

I have become quite adept at checking my e-mail when I’m stopped at a light, or even Googling to find a watch repair place when I needed my watch battery changed. There are very few places when I am not able to be connected these days.

This is quite a departure for me, but one I am coming to like. I hardly realize that my iPhone is several generations old, that my husband now owns to most current model that has GPS ability and other bells and whistles that mine doesn’t have. It doesn’t matter because I’m still learning how to use many of those icons that make the entry screen so colorful.

What is really cool is the fact that my computer and my iPhone get synced up every night while I sleep. I also like the fact that when our couples book club is choosing a date for the next meeting, I can now whip out my electronic calendar.

To make things work together well, I have moved to gmail. So if you happen to communicate with me by e-mail, my new address is bndiskin@gmail.com.

Luckily I live with someone who provides hand-me-downs and free consultation. He has so far figured out how to do everything I asked about. He’s working on a shared electronic calendar so we can be conscious of each other’s appointments.

I feel like I have made a leap like the one that took me into word processing so many years ago. I suppose it’s better late than never!

5 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

an iPhone, wow those are very cool

I find myself still very unattracted to the idea of internet activity when I'm out, about or travelling

2:41 AM  
Blogger karen said...

I do love the iphone, or rather the idea of it! One of the few electronic items which could be on my wishlist, if I didn't always spend money on travelling and mini breaks! (where I enjoy the break from being online sometimes, too). This all sounds rather contradictory, I realise!

2:51 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Someday, I'll succumb to technology but I worry that I'm multitask even more and start to lose focus. My molecules might just explode and diffuse into the environment if I do any more. :-s

You did prompt me to do a little necessary contact list cleanup, though.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I have a rather old phone myself. It's pretty handy when on the go, except for the very long cord.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

being connected is not all bad or all scary :)

My daughter just got a new iphone and her mouth was continually dropping open as she discovered all the things it could do. She is a doctoral student and can now, with the flick of a finger, go online and do research without having to rush back to her computer (among myriad other neat tricks).

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home