Sunday, April 05, 2009

Playing with Passion



Last night I found a couple of hours of pure passion as I reconnected with FC, someone who has always held a special place in my heart. Of course FC has been dead for many years, so it was at the hands of BG that I was able to have this experience. And my husband was on his own for the evening.

A friend and I went to an all-Chopin concert played by Brian Ganz, an accomplished musician whose goal is to record everything Chopin ever wrote. The venue was the old Dumbarton Oaks Church in Georgetown, the perfect place for such an evening.

From the minute he sat down at the piano, Mr. Ganz mesmerized the audience with a mixture of some of the most beautiful music ever written, all committed to his memory and executed flawlessly.

The first piece he played was Chopin’s Military Polonaise, a piece which was broadcast daily on Polish radio in 1939 as a sign of defiance against the German invasion. Its significance for me was the fact that I had memorized the entire piece when I was 15. I’m sure I never played it nearly as well as he did!

The last piece was the Heroic Polonaise, a piece I have always wanted to play. It was said that Liszt commanded that his students play the stirring middle section, marked by cascading octaves in the left hand, with “all the thunder of the Polish cavalry.” I would love to think that I might be able to play this piece some day.

But for now, even though I have been flirting with JSB, this evening of Chopin confirmed that he is still the greatest of classical composers in my mind. His music evokes the purest of passion.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Brian Ganz is amazing and always has been. We had the same piano teacher, Ylda Novik, for a while. I remember hearing him practice the G Minor Ballade in the practice rooms at MC where his mother taught English. I decided that one day I would also play that piece and eventually I did - on my senior recital.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Sounds like quite the evening.

As for you, keep practicing. You'll get there. I would LOVE to hear you play sometime.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- What was even more amazing than the sound was watching his face and seeing how happy playing that music made him. It was evident that he loved playing the piano.

I loved the story about your senior recital. It's so rewarding to realize a dream like that!

Gary -- My husband and dog can tell you that I make lots of mistakes. But I will guarantee you a mini-recital if and when you come visit again!

10:49 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Beautiful, Barbara - I love hearing about your musical experiences, and learn something new every time.. x

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great night - beautiful music and rediscovering a little bit of the passion you've been seeking.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mistakes" are some of the best teachers!
What is a "mistake," anyway? :-)

F.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds fabulous!

When I was a kid, I loved to hear my grandmother play Chopin's "Butterfly Etude" on her piano. That was always my special request. :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I love classical piano. I've tried to learn to play various instruments in my lifetime, but I lack a sense of rhythm. My banjo (yes, banjo) teacher told me that I should quit because even though I played technically correctly, it didn't sound like anything.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home