Friday, November 06, 2009

Seasonal Soup





As the weather gets cooler, my thoughts always turn to soup. The week’s CSA offerings were my inspiration for this soup that both looks and tastes good.

Red Lentil-Collard Soup with Lemon

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 leek, chopped (white part only)
1/2 pound collard greens, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
Juice of one lemon

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and leek and saute about 4 minutes.

Stir in collard greens, tomato paste, cumin, salt, and pepper and saute for another 3 minutes.

Add broth, water, red lentils, and carrot. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to low. Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.

Optionally blend the resulting soup, leaving some chunkiness.

Add lemon juice and serve.

You will LOVE this soup!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe -- it sounds and looks delicious. It is Soup Weather, indeed! (Rain falling as I write...)

F.

7:30 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Looks gorgeous! I shall keep it for a rainy day (soon to come, i hope) since it's boiling hot here and just humid and horrid!

Great to catch up on your thoughtful Zelda/aging/travel-related posts, too. Hope you are having a great weekend :)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I've been making a soup about once a week, and this looks perfect. I also want to try one I found online called pumpkin shrimp bisque.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow, Barbara, that looks amazing. I am totally making that. It looks more like stew than soup, but I guess you can vary that with the stock, right?

7:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- The picture is somewhat deceiving. The soup is really not thick. It was even better the next day as leftovers. Dave will be impressed!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love autumnal soups. (I love all soups!) I'll have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Today I made French Onion Soup for my family. It's inexpensive and tastes oh so good as cold weather sets in!

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home