Friday, January 15, 2010

A Quick Repair


I’ve always loved the soothing sound of a wind chime blowing in the breeze.  I especially liked the one my daughter gave me 6 years ago as I recovered from the removal of the first half of my thyroid with its malignant nodule.

The first time the chimes fell apart, I quickly put them back together with invisible thread.  But being outdoors finally took its toll and the cord used to string the beads and the ringers simply rotted.  Several beads disappeared when they crashed to the deck.

I found the name of the manufacturer printed on the underside of the wood at the top.  So I called Woodstock Chimes in New York’s Hudson Valley to see if they could repair my wind chime -- the “Serenity” model.  The woman I spoke to said they hadn’t made that model in years, but she offered to send me some cord so I could try my hand at restringing it.

I found some beads I liked at Bedazzled in Dupont, probably paying more than I should have for them, but I liked the color.

It was a relatively quick project to put it all back together again.  And I like the look of the brighter colored beads.

My renovated wind chime now hangs under the eaves and over the deck once again, ready to play its music for anyone sitting nearby or for no one at all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

Your wind chime is beautiful with its new beads. I love the sound of wind chimes. I am trying to collect enough old keys to put together one made with keys. I heard one somewhere and it was the most wonderful sound!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

in my office, I've put chimes, so when you open or close the door, the soft chimes go br-r-r-r-ing. They were a Christmas gift from my secret santa last year.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Beautiful, Barbara! I love the way that you've both salvaged and made something new out of something familiar and favored.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- I'll bet keys would make a great sound!

Kellyann -- Nice secret santa!

Kristin -- I've always had a hard time throwing things out when there's even the remotest chance I can fix them!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

It looks lovely with the new beads. If it ever falls apart again, try stringing it together with some fishing line - that'll last a long time!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the color of the beads. I can almost hear the chimes...ahh...

F.

6:41 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Nicely done. I love to run my hands through the beads at Beadazzled. Such a fun place to feast your eyes.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you are thinking to spare a room for meditation or even a study room where you need peace and silence then buying the Best Wind Chimes would be the best thing you can do. Although they make a sound it’s so peaceful that you would love meditating or reading your favorite novel with the sound of it.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Robert Smith said...

Metal, either copper, steel or any other material, is one of the most popular materials for the best wind chimes. It is not only very durable, but it is also easy to manipulate to create different types of sounds and melodies, from inspirational to soothing.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home