Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hearty Soup


Winter is soup season.  Today it was a variation on pea soup that provided a warm escape from the frigid weather outside.



I started early in the day to boil what I think was a big bone from a cow’s leg.  Polyface marketed it as osso buco, but it was certainly not the traditional cut I was used to.



By early afternoon I was ready to add chopped onions, chopped carrots, split peas, French lentils, red lentils, dried corn, black pepper corns, and salt.  First I removed the big bone and set it aside to cool.



After another couple of hours, the split peas and lentils were soft and thoroughly cooked.  I added back the beef removed from the big bone and cut into bite-size pieces.

This was one of those stick-to-your-rib soups that fills your belly for hours.



Isn’t it amazing how many varieties of carrots there are? Yep, those are all carrots in the first picture.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That soup sounds incredibly good! And looks good too - very colorful. I can practically smell it!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Love a good, hearty soup. Yours looks great. The carrots are amazing.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy, Terry -- The beauty of this soup, other than its color, is the fact that it was so easy. The only chopping was the onion and carrots. The only other work was removing the meat from the bone, done by my sous-chef. You just need a day with nothing much to do so you can mind the pot.

9:09 AM  
Blogger karen said...

This soup looks amazing! Great colourful photos, and sounds delicious too!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Karen -- The carrots are the most interesting ingredient I think! The combination of flavors was quite good.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous. You make me hungry. I can almost smell it from here...

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the colors! I too could almost smell your soup...yum! Can you e-mail me a bowl, please? :-)

I made a batch of turkey soup over the weekend that turned out great, in large part because of the wonderful stock my partner made from our Christmas turkey.

Here's to soup weather!

F.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home