Tuesday, January 05, 2010

They Say It's Your Birthday


It’s my birthday too!  I’m overwhelmed and out of breath at the thought of blowing out 61 candles. 

My birthday celebration is going to be stretched out this year.  It actually started yesterday with the arrival of a box containing this book.  The giver is a dear friend who knows how much I enjoyed walking around the Mission District looking at all the artwork everywhere on my last visit to San Francisco.  I couldn’t imagine a better present.

I got a hand-written card from my former secretary and long-time friend, who now keeps up with me through my Blog.

Today I woke up to find messages from Blogger friends Angela and Gewels, who surprised me by knowing it was my birthday.

I found a homemade card from my life partner.



Jake was exceptionally affectionate this morning as if he knew.

I just got a birthday wish from my friend Q, in which he offered me an Amish bread starter when it matures in 10 days.

I’ll treat myself to a haircut and partial highlights this afternoon.  I always look forward to seeing Richard at Axis.

Tonight my best boys and I will have dinner at Central after one of them gets out of class.

Thursday night we will go with friends to hear Elizabeth Gilbert of Eat, Pray, Love fame talk about her latest book Committed, where she continues the saga of her marriage to the Brazilian in the Love section of her former book.

And I suspect there is more to come when a certain chef returns from Thailand.  The only birthday present I had asked for was a teaching dinner party with Brock (of Hill’s Kitchen.)

I’m sure there will be other pleasant surprises during the day today.  But all in all it’s already a great celebration, one worthy of a day off from cleaning and a trip to the gym to prepare for the onslaught of calories and to continue my abs project. 

15 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

That sounds like a grand day! It tells you how well-loved you are. Isn`t that the best gift one can get after a long life? I am half a year older than you, so I can mention our age. I wouldn`t want to be young again, would you? All the best!!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, all together now, everybody!

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday, dear Barbara,
Happy Birthday to you!!

Glad you like the book! :-)

Have a great Birthday Season! Wish I could be there to join in the festivities in person.

Much love,

F.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Happy Birthday Barbara!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

calories, schmalories - they don't count on your birthday! Wishing you lots of chocolate and a happy day!

4:10 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Happy, happy birthday! *singing* ...and many more!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

Happy, happies to you. Here's to wishing that the best of this last year will be the worst of the next.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- I loved your rousing collective rendition of Happy Birthday. So far it's been a great day and it's not over yet. So sorry I missed a phone call from one of you dear ones while I was getting my hair worked on...

6:48 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Let me join in the chorus of HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Birthdays are fabulous reasons to celebrate ourselves and allow others to show their appreciation for all that we are...and shower gifts upon us.

Take it all in. Enjoy it. Yippee!!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- Thanks for another round of that oldie but goody!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

chiming in late.....

"Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuu."

12:26 AM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you're having a really good one, running on for as long as you see fit.

1:11 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARBARA!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh no -- how did I miss your birthday? Yikes! I hope you had a great one -- it sounds like you did!

The next time I come over I definitely want to take a look at that book! :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Barbara! I wish you the happiest of years.

10:45 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Happy belated birthday!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home