Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blizzards


The only other time I can recall being in a blizzard was the winter of 1951 when we were in Minnesota to visit my father’s family.  I was 2 and was constantly sick with tonsillitis. 

We headed out from Minneapolis to drive down to “the farm” near Wanamingo, where the family had originally settled after coming over from Norway.  It was snowing, but no one knew it would turn into a blizzard.  (Weather prediction was still in its infancy.)

Part of the way there we got stuck on the road with a lot of other cars that couldn’t go anywhere.   I remember the panic that ensued because it was so cold and I was sick as usual.  Finally my uncle rescued us in a truck and we made it to the farm.  None of the other details other than the fear among the adults sticks with me today.

At some point in the trip, my aunt took the picture above, which shows my parents happier than I remember them ever being.  It shows the ashtrays which were everywhere in those days.  It also shows my right femur already rotated when I was but 2 years old.



It’s a wild scene looking out the back window today.  It has been snowing furiously ever since I got up.  The deck table is just about out of view, as are the weird chairs around it.  Jake has made a little tunnel near the house that he scoots into to return only minutes later after he does what he’s out there to do.  I’m wondering just how much shrubbery we will lose to the storms of 2010.



The good news is we still have electricity.  I hope my dire predictions of losing it at noon today never come to fruition. 

9 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

What an adorable picture! Good luck with the electricity today.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- So far the lights are still on. The snow seems to have stopped falling and swirling. So maybe the worst is over for this year. Let's hope so anyway.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you have lights and heat!! Stay safe!

XO,

F.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

So many trees down! And the roof on my Jeep's starting to collapse. I'm so over snow!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- We are quite safe and cozy. We are lacking for nothing at all. It seems like the snows have taught us new kindness for each other.

Kristin -- A Jeep roof has to cost more than a couple of boxwoods to replace! Ouch!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

I didn't bother with my table today - yours will substitute nicely - LOL. We're plowed in! Lost internet for a while but we're ok now.

Family pix in retrospect are interesting studies in family dynamics. I don't remember anything from when I was two. At least I don't think so.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Rayna -- You feel really isolated without the Internet, yes? That's when I'm so happy to have an iPhone.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. It IS amazing to see your right leg rotated at that age. Don't you wish you could go back in time and watch yourself walk back then?

So glad you're fine in the snow. And that this experience is drawing you close(r).

F.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Are you a full-blooded Norwegian then, or where was your mother from? Then you should have the genes to get along with such weather, and it seems to me you do! Good luck, we are expecting new snow and strong winds tonight, too.
Take good care! (and thanks for your reply!)

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home