Monday, February 08, 2010

Let there be light!

I can’t tell you what a relief it was to hear the power come back on as I was showering and washing my hair in a 45 degree bathroom around noon.  It solved my problem of how I was going to dry my hair.  Not that it was immediately toasty, but at least my hair dryer would function.

We actually survived quite well over our 3 day ordeal with no power.  It was amazingly quiet and the television was silent.  I really liked that part.  There were no disagreements and we did a lot of reading.

We had to be resourceful to do things we normally took for granted.  My techie husband found something called CellSpin for $1.99 that would allow me to post (albeit crudely) from my iPhone.  We fried our toast since the toaster didn’t work.  We took our phones out to the car (after the snow was cleared from it) to charge them.  We laughed a lot at our efforts to behave like pioneers and our obvious dependency on electricity.

I ventured out this afternoon for my second appointment with the rolfer, which I was determined not to miss.  The roads were surprisingly bad -- even I-395, where only one lane was down to pavement.  Many of the streets in DC hadn’t been plowed at all.  I was somewhat afraid that I would never get out of the space which I finally managed to get into.  (I will soon write more about Bill, the rolfer, because he deserves his own post!)

On the way home I decided to stop at Whole Foods because another storm of 10-20” is predicted for tomorrow.  There were no bananas.  Nor were there any at Safeway, where there were also no batteries (D cell).  Giant came through with bananas, but no batteries.  CVS had batteries.  Fortunately the bank still had money since we may need to shell out another payment to the Hispanic guys who come through with their snow shovels and help us dig out.

As for snow removal, Arlington County gets my vote for doing it right.  The main thoroughfares were plowed down to the pavement and traffic was moving well.  I certainly can’t say as much for the other jurisdictions I traversed today.  And my neighborhood is almost impassable, even in one lane.

I am waiting for Pat Robertson to tell us the DC metro area has been hit because we’re all such sinners.  I’ve actually had the fleeting thought that perhaps God is punishing us for something.  This is the most snow I’ve seen in the shortest time in my 39 years of living here.  I will be very happy to see Spring this year.

But for the moment at least we have light and we can watch "24" tonight!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Congratulations on your return to the 21st century! I'm worried about the roads, too, and the snow that's supposed to come. My flight Wednesday was already canceled. I might have to go to Dulles Tuesday night for another flight, which may or may not take off.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh man, that sounds scary! But you managed astonishingly well!
If God is punishing you, he is punishing us as well! We are expecting even MORE snow and even LOWER temps (-20°C). Do you think spring will EVER come?
Yes, please tell us about Bill the rolfer!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yaaay, you're back in action! I hope for your sake that today's snowstorm doesn't make it to 15 inches again. Maybe whatever fix they did will make it through this round.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -- thanks for all the details. So glad you made it home safely. I hope this next round is lighter! Are you getting cabin fever? How is Jake handling it all?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Hope you make it out before #2 comes through.

Angela -- I'm going to write something about Bill the rolfer today.

Cyndy -- I'm predicting yet another tree will go down and take power lines with it. I hope I'm wrong.

Anon -- Jake seems oblivious to the snow. He trots outside as best he can to do his thing and then races back to the door. He never seems to ask questions like "Why?" that we adults seems fixated on.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

New Year's Eve 2009 we were at friends' and there was an outage. They had electric stove and oven and dinner was going to be steak. In the snow, our friend Arthur trekked out to the gas grill and we had dinner in the dark with the gas fireplace throwing off some light, no heat. It was an adventure - I can only imagine several days of it. Amazing how we can survive it we have to!

We await the next blizzard, presumably tonight.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

It is amazing how fragile our lives are.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home