Thursday, February 04, 2010

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

It’s the season of soup.  With what may be a record-breaking snow coming this weekend, it just seemed right to make a huge pot of hearty warmth.

Yesterday I got inspired by a bag (about 2 cups) of Great Northern beans from the CSA that had been just sitting in wait on the shelf.  My “recipes” always start with “What would go well with this?” 

I decided a full-flavored stock would be a good place to start.  So yesterday I got out the stock pot, added a meaty beef shank bone (osso buco), and bits and pieces of vegetables:  the green tops from a bunch of organic carrots, some nubs of ginger, a garlic clove, scallion tops, and pepper corns.  After filling the pot with water, I let it simmer on the stove for hours.  After it cooled, I put it in the refrigerator to let any fat congeal.  At the same time, I put the beans in a pot to soak overnight.

This morning even before breakfast, I rinsed the beans and added the de-fatted stock.  I set aside the lean pieces of beef to be added later.  Then I let the beans cook while I had breakfast and figured out what else to add to the soup.

Here’s what ended up going in after being chopped/minced and sauteed in some lemon-flavored olive oil:

1 onion
1 large shallot
3 garlic cloves
2 carrots
1 red pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 red jalapeno pepper
4 chard leaves
3 links of mild chicken sausage (removed from their casings)

After adding 2 bay leaves and simmering for another 30 minutes, I added a package of fresh shelled English peas, the reserved beef, and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes.  I also added about 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt.

After another 45 minutes, I have now turned off the soup to allow it to cool.  The broth has a very rich earthy taste. 

I can imagine dipping French bread into this hearty soup, that is is complete meal in its bowl.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like all your soups, this looks delicious and healthy! We don't have snow here, but I've been making lots of soups in recent weeks, too. Very cozy!

F.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Mmm,this looks and sounds good! Fire roasted tomatoes are a recent discovery for me. The extra flavor is so worth the extra cost. Yum. Stay warm!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous.

My recipes start the same way! I definitely plan to make soup and bread this weekend as well as more than my fair share of cookies and treats.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

OMG that sounds so incredibly delicious! I'll be eating my canned soup today pretending it tastes like yours. Oh well. When I get my kitchen I'm going to start cooking. You've definitely inspired me.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Rayna said...

Soup is the best comfort food - and in my house, it is never the same twice. Stone soup!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home