Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lost and Found


It seems like for much of my life I have been looking for something that has disappeared or more likely been misplaced.

For many years it was a ballet slipper for my favorite doll, a knife from my maroon and gray plastic tea set. You get the picture.

Recently I had been missing this photo of my one and only dance recital, which I had in my mind but could no longer put my finger on. It was after this recital that my parents gave me the choice of more dance classes or kindergarten and I chose kindergarten.

Last week as I was going through old photos in the basement by candlelight, I found the photo tucked into an album with pictures totally unrelated. Who knows how it got there, but it was found. So I can cross that one off my “missing” list.

I was always tall as a child. You can see I’m about a head taller than any other 4-year-old in the class. I knew the dance well, so I was in the front row.

I thought about this photo on Tuesday as I worked with my trainer Emily. She had me stepping up on a step and extending opposite arm and leg for balance. It sort of reminded me of my dance recital routine.



As a more immediate concern, we just noticed that Jake could actually step over the fence (instead of burrowing under as he used to do) if he wanted to escape. I can now see the metal fence piece is no longer connected, so some repair is in order if the snow ever melts.

Some very sweet Hispanic guys, who spoke only enough English to convey the price, came by already this morning and gave us a head-start on digging out of yesterday’s blizzard.

The sun is shining strongly today. I’m hopeful the big melt will begin. It’s time to start watching the spot in the basement which tends to let in water from excess rain and snow.

Maybe I’ll brave it and take a walk down the middle of the still very white and virgin road.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

The snow is melting here already! When I drove back from the gym this morning I was amazed at how slushy things had become. I hope you got to take your walk!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- It's too cold here for slush. We did take a walk with Jake and the one-lane street is pretty treacherous, especially when a car comes along. I'm hopeful for some improvement tomorrow.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's funny how things stick in one's head. Some things we'll never forget. What a great picture! I'm so glad you found it.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I am sure I am the only one who cares that I found it, but I do find it annoying when I've had something and it simply disappears. I keep reminding myself not to care so much about material things, but I never learn.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I remember the gray and maroon plastic tea set though mine was miniature and was used in my doll house. That brought a slew of memories!

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home