Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reluctantly Springing Forward


When I woke up today, I was so wishing it was a “fall back” day instead of a “spring forward” day.  But the reality was I had once again lost an hour. 

I had gone to bed after midnight last night after cleaning up from a dinner party -- hence the spring flowers on the dining table.  Our initial invitees couldn’t come because of illness.  So at the last minute another couple stepped in to eat roast leg of lamb with us.  We ate and drank and talked until quite late.

I was supposed to play music with my bass friend Deborah at 10:30, which fortunately got moved to 11:00 because her alarm hadn’t gone off.

I managed to go to the gym in the middle of the day, which miraculously cured me of the lower back ache I get from too much cooking and chopping and dishwashing.

Then more music with a cellist this time.  He sprung an entirely new piece by Handel on me and gave the the supreme compliment after our initial run-through:  “You really read that quite well.”  I have always been hesitant to sight-read anything without personal practice time, so that made me feel especially good.

We had our “Works in Progress” music gathering at 5:00.  I played Misek’s First Sonata with Deborah.  I played the very new Handel piece with Chris the cellist.  And then I played a few more pages of the Beethoven Pathetique Sonata, which could be a work in progress for the rest of my life.  Nothing was flawless, but all were acceptable in the spirit of the group.

I’m not hungry yet because my stomach and head have not yet accepted the missing hour.  I’m sure after a few days its loss will no longer be apparent.  But for now, I feel robbed of 60 minutes I could have used today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like you've a great couple of days, but almost as if you have jetlag. Here's hoping it doesn't last long! (A late night, early morning and the loss of an hour have definitely taken it out of me.)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I didn't even realize it was Daylight Saving Time until late this morning. Fortunately I didn't have to be anywhere urgently! (It's easy to lose track of things when you're not working!)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Yes, sort of like jetlag.

Steve -- I must confess to not knowing about the time switch until one of my guests last night mentioned it. It is easy to lose track of all time-related things when you no longer have a routine, I agree!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I forgot about the time change until late last night - when I went to set the alarm on my cell phone it was 3:17. I wondered how it had gotten to be so late and then I remembered. So I'm an hour short of sleep like everyone else. But wasn't it great to still have daylight at 6:30 tonight?

It sounds like you had a really nice day of music today!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were Queen, we'd all get some "extra time" cards to cash in as needed, kind of like Monopoly cards: one "extra hour" card per month, one "extra day" card per year, one "extra week" card per ten years, one "extra month" card per life.

Loved hearing about all the music!

F.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I love the idea of "extra time" cards. That would be a really valuable gift!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home