Friday, April 30, 2010

Burgers, Fries, ...and Grease


When I want a good burger I go to Palena and I am never disappointed.  Tonight we invited our son to go to dinner with us to celebrate the fact that he is done with law school -- again -- having just completed an LLM at GWU.

We waited for an outside table, so that we could be among the dozen or so diners who got to enjoy the beautiful DC evening.   Despite the sound of the fire engines going out from across the street to save the city, it was a good choice.

The thing I find most unique at Palena is the French fries that come with breaded onion rings, fried lemon slices, little potato puffs, and homemade spicy mayonnaise.   I ate far too many of those tonight, leaving me with a slight case of indigestion.  I’m not sure if it was the amount of food or the grease of all the fried food or both.  But I must say the taste outweighed the resulting temporary discomfort.

It was a busy day of making homemade challah and dog food, meeting one of my favorite ex-employees for coffee with his 3-year-old daughter, and continuing the process of putting the house back together.

This weekend we will continue the search for comfortable chairs and make our master list of items to be dealt with on Monday, hopefully the final day of the painting project.

I am mentally and physically exhausted, after not having an 8-hour night of sleep in a while.  I think I will turn in early and try to reverse that trend.

Maybe next week life will return to normal, giving me time once again to play the piano and to read the Blogs I have sadly been neglecting lately.  Thanks to those of you who have continued to come around anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

I don't often fancy a burger I have go say - but just now and then, a really good one hits the spot like nothing else.

I hope you have a good rest Barbara

5:04 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

ah, now I am craving burgers and fries, two things I haven't had in years!

life intervenes now and then - come back with all the lovely colors on your walls in tow so we can see what's been keeping you occupied :)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sleep well, Barbara, whenever you get the chance. Your life always seems so busy!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I haven't had a burger in 40 years. Fries are another story. Love the fries.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home