Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Searching for "Just Right"


We learned the hard way that you don’t order chairs you haven’t been able to sit in.  The rockers we ordered online from Massachusetts went back yesterday because they just didn’t work for our backs and necks.  It was a lot of money to pay for uncomfortable chairs.  It was also a lot of money to ship them back, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. 

So today I went to Hardwood Artisans in search of comfortable chairs, chairs I could sit in and try out.  The beautiful wood in all the hand-crafted furniture they carry greets you as you walk in the door.

I felt like Goldilocks going from chair to chair until I found just the right one.  Even though the chair felt too good to get out of, I was somewhat put off when the sales woman told me it was the choice of all the senior citizens.  (I must have really been looking old today.  Even though I qualify as a senior at the movie theater these days, I don’t yet like to think of myself in that age bracket.)  She also asked if we were downsizing -- going into assisted living perhaps? -- and I just said “No” and left it at that.

The Bungalow Rocker and its companion Parlor Chair are my seats of choice.  They are both made of gorgeous wood of several possible choices with cushions in even more choices.


As I write this my husband is on his way to sit in the chairs.  Before actually purchasing this time we may want to sit for a half hour or so just to make sure our necks and backs fare better this time around.  The good news is the chairs are made locally so we will at least save on shipping cost if we choose these.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A comfortable chair is worth its weight in gold. Take your time, indeed!

F.

2:18 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Her comments would be enough for me to walk out.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

She must be part of the "Employ the Tactless" program. And I thought the Senior Citizen model was the dusty rose Lazy Boy with the mechanized lifter. Snark, snark. Can you tell I took offense to your salesperson?!

But, salesperson aside, the chairs look gorgeous and if they are comfy--what a find!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That saleswoman definitely needs some lessons in tact!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Geez, I can't believe that sales person. what could she have been thinking?

Good approach to your chair buying.

4:53 PM  
Blogger dennis said...

Dennis does not like that saleslady either. Dennis would have talked back or reported her insolence! Dennis has lived in assisted living all his life but it is nobody's business, really. Dennis fears rocking chairs. They look dangerous.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wow, that's insensitive. And inappropriate. You guys definitely don't look like "assisted living" candidates!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home