Friday, April 23, 2010

His, Hers, and Ours


We’ve had some interesting discussions about color this week.  Bathroom color opinions were clearly divided along male-female lines.

After Luis finished my husband’s bathroom in Nonchalant White, he was raving about the color.  And it did indeed look cool and refreshing.  It was a nice transition from our bedroom color of Ancient Marble, the next color down on the paint chip.  The light through the bedroom window enhanced both colors.



After the initial paint went up in my bathroom, I asked Luis what he thought of the color and he said, “It’s very green.”  My husband took a look and suggested I adopt his much cooler color.



But I had picked a warm green that was in clear contrast to the pinkish tiles.  I had admired this green in a friend’s house and I knew I would love it so I said, “Nope, I’m sticking with my green.  Paint away.”  And he did.



In the end everyone admitted that my bathroom made a clear color statement whereas my husband’s would continue to feel like a cool mint, not all bad.

We talked about how color preference may have something to do with whether you are a man or a woman.  (I did remember that both male decorators we had consulted chose somewhat similar greens for my bathroom.)  But maybe it is too harsh for the average man.



Fortunately we are in total agreement about the teal wrap-around and the two shades of neutral in the family room.  This bold teal is a departure for us after all those years of off-white throughout the house.  I just wish we had added color sooner.



(Believe it or not, that is the same teal wall on the left.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

I like that green. And the teal is beautiful!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I love that green. I am definitely a color on the walls person. My husband bows to my wishes and always says he likes the colors I choose.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Interesting post about colors. Not sure if color preference is a man or woman thing -- I would guess it runs more along the lines of personality.

I like neutral colors and lean toward earth tones. Some people like bright, bold colors and that looks fine, too, in the right setting.

I sometimes go to open houses to see how people have painted and decorated.

On a different note, I enjoyed your last post about the children's mysteries. I am going to read the mystery about Cardigan Jones -- what a great title and story line!

Take care.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the photos! It's great to see the new colors and imagine you living in them. I like them a lot! I'm with you on the green.

I tend towards Russell's view that color preference is more a personality thing than a gender thing. I know people of all genders on all parts of the color spectrum.

I myself like a mixture of both brighter and more earth-toney colors in my home. When I get my new computer, and have my photos sorted, I'll send you photos of our place...

Congrats on taking the plunge and changing things up!

F.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

love both the green and the teal - it must feel like living in a new house!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous colors! I might have to invite myself over to see them in person. :) Seriously, though, the pictures are gorgeous and invigorating.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home