Sunday, April 04, 2010

Let's hear it for the shad tree!


We’ve had this shad tree for probably 30 years.  It’s never been terribly remarkable until this year, when it has simply bloomed its heart out.

Even our son, who was over for dinner last night, asked when we had gotten that tree.  He was surprised to find out it was older than he is.



It would appear Jake has forsaken his kong for the shad tree petals.  Actually he is eating grass.  In his encroaching senility, grass seems to have more allure than his kong.  I’m not sure if he’s tired of running or just has a sudden desire to graze.

I’ll always wonder if it was the many feet of snow or a sudden urge to be noticed that brought out the best in the old shad tree.  I’m sorry to see the carpet of pink petals being laid on the ground around it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That's gorgeous! From a distance it almost looks like a variety of tulip magnolia. The trees are all so stunningly beautiful this year, aren't they?

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that your son noticed the tree for the "first" time! Isn't it great when we see something familiar anew (with "beginner's eyes")? How absolutely perfect for this time of seasonal shift and spring holidays.

Hope you're feeling better from the bug/allergies. May the life force of spring heal you quickly!


F.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

How uncanny, I think your shad tree is the answer to the question I've had since I took a picture of a neighbor's tree yesterday. It's a new tree, just planted last year, and it's in bloom. Unfortunately the neighbor's out of the country for two more weeks. I'll send you a couple of picture via email to see if you think it's a shad tree, too. What a timely post, Barbara, thank you!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

How lovely!

My mom used to have a Christmas cactus the never bloomed. Ever. Until I took it to college. A couple of weeks without water or heat brought out flowers that stayed until Spring. It's bloomed every year since.

You never know what's going to do it. I'm so glad your tree's bursting with life. It's gorgeous!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

We have shadblow trees here which have much smaller, more delicate blossoms that emit a heavenly scent. I don't think I've ever seen a shad tree like yours - it's lovely!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I always thought these were Japanese magnolias. I've never heard of a shad tree -- that's a new one on me! In any case, they're among my favorite trees, and this one is a great specimen. :)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home