Friday, April 16, 2010

Moving the Library



Instead of going to the gym this morning, my workout consisted of moving about 60 linear feet of books, photo albums, scrapbooks, and knick-knacks of a lifetime so work can begin on Monday.

One of the first rooms will be what has been known as “the pink room” since we moved in in 1977 and it was painted pink.  It will be pink no longer.  Nor will there be a mauve wall-to-wall carpet in the room because the white oak floor is being refinished. All of this stuff will reside across the hall while the pink room is de-pinked next week.



It took more trips than I could count, in each case stepping over Jake who positioned himself in the doorway as the guardian of the books.  I made piles corresponding to the various shelves, hoping for balance instead of a domino effect.


I found books on every subject imaginable.  There was “Enlightened Sex” with a CD, as of yet unopened.  (I hope it’s not to late.)  There was French grammar.  There was “Linear Algebra.”  (It is definitely too late.)  There were many books on training dogs, some read, others not so much.  There were books on health and growing avocados and travel.  Oh, the travel books.  They made my wanderlust kick in as I stacked Provence and Hawaii and Chile all in a high pile. 

This is just the beginning of what promises to give our house a much-needed facelift.  Hopefully we won’t kill each other in the process.  And hopefully we can figure out how to keep Jake out of the family room for 4 days next week while the floors are being refinished.  A new set of challenges!

8 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

LOL! Never too late. Except for Linear Algebra, of course. :)

Sounds like a good workout to me. Jake is just helping you build your balance/core muscles.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! I was just recently reminiscing to my partner about my college linear alegbra class, describing it as a sort of 10-week-long acid trip...

I'm all in favor of de-pinking. I lived for 10 years in a rental house with a Pepto-Bismol pink bathroom; NOT conducive to good digestion! :-)

I want to hear more about the "Enlightened Sex" book, naturally...a CD but no DVD (?!)...hmmm...

Good luck with all your tasks! Be careful w/all that lifting and balancing...

F.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Should have said DVD!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I guess we're on similar paths. I am about to rip apart my home filing system and redo it. Daunting tasks, both.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Cleaning out is always an adventure. I just wrote an article about a woman who was cleaning out/sorting through her belongings, came across a box of old love letters from years before, got reacquainted with the man, and now has moved from Amsterdam to my old home street to make a new life with him! Imagine you won't be moving out but something exciting may come from your house re-do;)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

We once bought a house with sky blue carpet in the living room and pink in one bedroom. It was cheap and had great potential. The replacing the carpets was the first improvement we undertook.

11:52 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i hope its almost never too late!

i'd so love to do this to our study. I think its a job way down the list though...

4:08 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Moving books is a HUGE task! Bless you both!

I love that Jake found the worst place to sit so he could truly be part of the action. My dog does the same thing. Gotta love it.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home