Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Working at my edge


Working with a personal trainer teaches you a lot about yourself.  I have learned in particular that I never work as hard by myself as I do with Emily.

Today after I had done one set with a 6-pound medicine ball, I tried to say it was just too heavy for the second set, but she was not buying that at all.  And she proved she was right as I huffed and puffed my way through the second set.

As I was lying on my back on a bench and lifting an 8-pound weight in each hand overhead, for a moment I pictured dropping them on my head as I instead just graced the sides of my ears.  That possibility was enough to make me concentrate hard on doing it right.

I work hard for an hour, usually doing 3 sets of each exercise.  Hearing “You’re done!” is like the bell at the end of a school day.

But I continue to schedule in an hour with Emily each week, knowing full well that in my intervening trips to the gym I will never work as hard.  I will always exert myself for cerebral activity, but not so much for physical activity.

But at least once a week I am invited to work at my edge for an hour and it is amazingly good for me!

6 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I admire you, Barbara! Really, I do. You`ll surely profit from this exercise, and also from beating your own "inner swinehound" as the Germans say.

1:46 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

You're so right. That's exactly the benefit of a good trainer--to push you farther and faster than you'd ever push yourself. Congrats on getting through another tough workout!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Similar w/yoga classes for me -- I always feel better, more "worked out," and more relaxed, centered, and inspired after a well-taught yoga class than after my own home sessions. Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

F.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

There's something to be said for pushing boundaries, even if you wouldn't exactly push them without the external motivation. Either way, you're the one doing the work.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I just wrote about working out this morning, too. Apparently we're on the same wavelength.

I envy you the use of a trainer. I wish I could afford one!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I've never been able to commit to the gym. Good for you!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home