Friday, April 09, 2010

It's Back!



Look what has decided to bloom again! My beautiful amaryllis is coming back.

Last year as I recuperated from my hip replacement, a good friend gave me this plant, which at the time had multiple gorgeous blossoms. They lasted for a long time and then fell off. I cut it back to nothing and it continued to put forth long frondy leaves, but no blooms.

I bought special fertilizer in the hope that I could once again see even one of those big blossoms that remind me of coral-colored Easter lilies. But no bloom was forthcoming.

Until this week that is. All of a sudden the plant decided to put up this one spiky bud that has been growing at about an inch a day. I can’t wait until it actually opens up.

Not to be greedy, but I wonder if there will be more. I wonder just what sort of timetable my amaryllis is on. I’m so glad I didn’t follow my usual instincts with exotic plants like this one: when they initially stop blooming, throw them out. This one was worth keeping around it would seem.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I received an amaryllis bulb for my birthday in November and it took two months at least before the beautiful flowers began to bloom. I have a card that tells me how to care for the bulb (involves a brown bag, cutting back or not...) but I have no patience for it. I was going to throw it out but instead have just cut the dead leaves away. We'll see what happens. Your post has inspired me to take another look though.

1:02 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Ours is already in bloom and it's lovely (red) in a really splashy way.

Many years ago, after my aunt went into a nursing home, we were helping to clean out her house for her. In the basement we found this amaryllis in the dark, still growing after months of neglect. We took it home, put it in a sunny spot, and we've been enjoying it ever since.

wv: hauppear. What the amaryllis appears to be.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- Don't throw it out just yet!

LA -- I think neglect is what is called for in terms of getting them to bloom. I had all but given up on this one and it was almost trash-bound this week. So then it decides to bloom!

Don't you just love those beautiful big blooms? They are so showy when they happen!

I love the fact that your plant is a legacy from your aunt.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spring has sprung! Boing!

F.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Yes, BOING is indeed a good way to describe the way this plant grows (when it does)!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Pix E. said...

I can feel your excitement, and I'm the same way.

the new life in spring is so amazing and we'd never see it without the gift of winter.

My local florist gives me free plants sometimes. Once he brought out an amaryllis that was languishing in the back of the shop-- he told me it just looked dead, and he was right-- it is gorgeous whenever it decides to bloom!!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- Welcome back! I've missed you. These plants are reminding us that anything is possible!

7:56 PM  
Blogger karen said...

This is wonderful news! Looking forward to seeing the beautiful bloom when it appears!

5:28 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

beautiful - I've never managed to get one of these to flower for a 2nd year, but one I gave my father a year ago - when he moved into his new flat - has flowered again this year.
they are so spectacular

6:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's amazing - the resilience of plants and the fact that they bloom on their own schedules, seemingly without rhyme or reason. The world's a beautiful place, filled with beautiful things.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home