Monday, June 28, 2010

New Jewels


A couple of years ago I wrote about a rather remarkable reconnection with an artist whom I had never met.  She just happened to have fashioned a pair of earrings and I desperately wanted to replace one that had been lost.  Now living in Portland, she recreated a perfect match a full 10 years after I had purchased them (with a matching necklace) at Appalachian Spring in Georgetown.
Every time I wear that jewelry, and I wear it a lot, I think of Denise Althea Graham, an artist I have yet to meet and wonder what other things she is creating.  I decided to contact her on her Blog and find out.  It turns out she has moved on from beads to other art media, but she still has a stash of beads left over from her days of jewelry making.
So we exchanged a few messages and she agreed to make some things I might like, based on what I had originally purchased.  She sent me photos asking me to choose a set if I liked either.  I quickly agreed to buy everything she had made, at a price about half of what I had paid originally.
My new jewels came today and they are even more beautiful than the photos lead me to believe.  Denise also enclosed a very personal card, which made me want to meet this woman who seems to know me quite well despite the fact we’ve never met.
I shot off an e-mail message declaring my delight with the pieces she had made.  I almost said “I will enjoy them for the rest of my life,” but those words are just a little scary to me, so I opted for “a long, long time.”
I really love the idea of connecting on a personal level with cooks and artists, of which I now have several in my life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

Well, now you know at least two of us in Portland. I think you need to plan a visit!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous jewels and a great story to go with them. They'll accessorize conversations as well as your outfits.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- One of these days I'm just going to have to make a trip to Portland!

Kristin -- I love the idea of accessorizing conversations.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! And I can see them on you clearly.

I love hearing about the web you help weave with the artistic people in your life. :-)

F.

2:29 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Those are just lovely! How nice to know the artist as well, even though you've never met in person.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It will definitely make the pieces all the more meaningful to have made a connection with the artist.

About 25 years ago I bought an art print at a flea market. Twenty years later, through the power of the Internet, I located the artist and communicated with her. She was excited to know I owned her work and wanted to know the back story. Fun!

(I should make that a post, actually, if I haven't already...)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home