Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mildly High



That would definitely not be me!  But last week’s physical showed my cholesterol level to be “mildly high”, adding to my list of old-age woes.
First my body let my bone density decrease and now it’s allowed my cholesterol to go up!  In my case I don’t think the culprit is diet because we don’t eat much that isn’t good for us.  Things like fries and burgers are just not part of our daily fare.
Deborah is not yet suggesting medication, but my husband went on Zocor several years ago with numbers lower than mine.  So despite the fact that I hate taking medicine of any kind, I’m thinking of asking for something to change “mildly high” to “quite normal”.  I certainly don’t want to be asked to give up the egg I eat every other day in an effort to do this with diet.
I suppose it’s only natural that our bodies change with age, that some numbers go up while others come down.  I guess it should be reassuring to know we can fix things like this before “the big one” does us in.
How are your numbers?

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I have always had high numbers in part due to heredity and in part due to poor eating habits.

My doctor put me on Simcor a number of years ago and things have improved.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- It's interesting to read that new evidence suggests that statins may actually have added benefits beyond lowering cholesterol. Sign me up!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I have no idea about my cholesterol numbers, and I feel good and eat my egg if I want to, so should I be worried? So often after some years they come up with new research and say that their former strong convictions were proven wrong. So I think I`ll just not bother!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I guess that my numbers have always been quite good. I attribute my vegetarianism bordering on veganism, but both of my parents are convinced that my blood pressure and/or cholesterol will spike as theirs did. I might just be trying to convince myself that I'm not turning into them.

10:29 PM  
Blogger e said...

My numbers were up but went down with a vegan diet...Good luck, what I've read is conflicting.

Your vegetarian soup looks wonderful.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

My numbers were always higher than they should have been for a vegetarian -- 200-plus. I haven't had a reading done recently, but I think I have hereditary high cholesterol, because my mom's is high too. And interestingly there is no heart disease in our family. I exercise a lot so I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home