Sunday, September 19, 2010

Segway



I was invited to tour DC on a Segway today, but opted for the lunch-only part of the retirement celebration.  
As it turned out, every one of the 10 people who participated was roughly my age and they all had a ball.  One person commented that it was easier than riding a bike.  Another said that if I did yoga, riding a Seqway should be easy (although I’m not sure why).
The truth is a Segway might be my best bet for increasing my speed of getting around and keeping up with everyone else.  It’s not likely that I’ll be invited to another Segway outing, but I would be more likely to accept if I were.
We lunched at Clyde’s at Gallery Place afterwards.  I loved reminiscing with this Cuban guy I once hired, who went on to fill a job I vacated, and then become a superstar bureaucrat.  When we first worked together we were in an office of 20-somethings.  He reminded me that his first trip out of the country to give technical assistance was with me.  We joked about the pitchers of pisco sours handed out at the office in Chile where we were working.  
Now that work is a thing of the past for him, he has immersed himself in cooking.  Rumor has it he has perfected the art of paella-making and I asked for a lesson.  I love the idea of lives that stay loosely connected for decades.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Wow! You passed up a Segway expedition?!

I love keeping up with my old school (but not too closely). It's what makes Facebook groovy!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giddy-up! Next time (if there is one) you are so-o-o there!

F.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I would love a Segway ride.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a great day, even Segway free. (They somewhat make me nervous but I'm terribly klutzy.)

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home