Saturday, January 01, 2011

Another Year



New Year’s Eve was a low-key affair.  We had a leisurely dinner with good friends at Central, noting that most of the clientele were 30 years younger than us.  Everyone of our generation were seated in one section and the rest of the restaurant was fashionably young.  The food was both delicious and beautifully presented.  Chef Michel Richard was having a leisurely glass of wine with customers while his kitchen pumped out course after course of gourmet food.
Then we made it home to wait for the ball to drop.  We all had mixed feelings about the fact that Dick Clark is still officiating.  It’s certainly to his credit that he continues this tradition, but it’s such a blatant reminder that he’s leading our generation down a geriatric path.  I’m thinking maybe it’s time for him to retire and just sit back and watch.
I did manage to find some hats and noisemakers, but my dislike of champagne was obvious when I realized I don’t own a single champagne flute.  (Note the white wine glasses filled with bubbly in the above picture.)
Last night I was still in somewhat of a state of shock after learning that one of my best childhood friends is suffering from stage 4 lung cancer.  She was our homecoming queen, the girl who amused us all by turning back flips up and down the hall before early morning French, our partner in many a harmless crime.  It shakes me to my very core to realize how vulnerable we all are.
Best wishes to all for a healthy, happy 2011, but mostly to my long-time friend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

We are all vulnerable all the time. We're also resilient, brave, and strong. We may as well live well while we're waiting to die - it takes our minds off the inevitability. Stage 4 does not leave much room for your friend to get better but leaves you time to reconnect and reminisce. You are both a kind and a brave woman and a generous one to share those gifts with others.

7:18 AM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I woke up in time to see Dick Clark and was sorry I did. He looked good but listening to him and his new speech patterns was really disturbing. I switched channels.

Wishing you and all those you love a very healthy, happy new year!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Sorry about your friend. With the loss of so many loved ones over the years and the recent death of my friend James at 48, I have been feeling vulnerable myself. I like Pauline's advice though - live well!

On another note, I love the hats! I didn't even think of hats. Happy New Year!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- We are planning a reunion of our group of 6 in Atlanta where our friend lives. It will give us all something to look forward to.

Meanwhile I have put my friend in touch with a local friend who also was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 2 years ago. She is taking an experimental drug and is doing extremely well.

LA -- We should have changed channels.

Gary -- The hats are about 15 years old from when my daughter had friends over for a NYE party.

10:24 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Hi Barbara. Happy New year to you.. so sorry to hear about your friend, though. Hope that your year is a wonderful one, nonetheless..

4:11 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wishing you the very happiest of new years, Barbara, and health to all, especially your friend.

6:56 PM  
Blogger e said...

Those hats are cute. I'm sorry about your friend as well and I hope you'll have a good visit in Atlanta. How is your piano pupil?

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home