Sunday, December 19, 2010

Be Happy



I admit to not being on the top of the world lately.  But I’m working on turning this around  from a couple of directions.  
Part of my exercise plan now is to ride the stationary bike 30 minutes a day, which would have sounded like an eternity to me -- that is, before my daughter introduced me to “Glee”.  
Picture ME signing up for Hulu Plus so I can get unlimited access to all the Glee episodes and the world of TV that makes the miles fly by.  I still have a hard time just sitting down to watch TV, but re-runs on my computer while I bike are a whole different story. 
Not only do I love the music, but I love the concept of the show, where stereotypes are exaggerated and basically everything goes.  Yesterday I watched Britney/Brittany with all its dental gas-induced fantasies of dancing with Brittany Spears.  Something must have stuck because I found myself dancing all night long and I was really good.
So that is HAPPINESS part one.
This morning’s yoga class featured a lengthy yoga nidre (yogic sleep) session at the end.  We were asked to form an intention and to state it affirmatively (to ourselves).  So what the hell?  Why not I AM HAPPY?  The next 20 minutes were a glorious guided meditation with my intention occasionally surfacing.
I walked out of that yoga class like a new person.  I made plans to get together with two people in my yoga class.  I started noticing cute children being carried or walking with their parents along Pennsylvania Avenue toward Eastern Market.  I stopped at the fish market and bought a special treat for dinner.
But perhaps most importantly I came away with the information to order a CD so I can do yoga nidre at home with my husband as a way to relax together.  
Hopefully HAPPINESS part two will not be the last stop on this journey of mine to banish sadness at this solstice time, instead letting happiness grow as steadily as the increasing light. 

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wood said...

Keep fightin', Barbara. This time of the year can really wreck havoc on your mind.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kevin -- Yeah, on top of the Christmas frenzy (from which I mostly abstain), this year's winter solstice is accompanied by a lunar eclipse, the first time in 456 years! That promises to be the ultimate in DARK!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Barbara,
I find watching Oprah while I run on the treadmill makes the time go by so quickly I hardly realize an hour has passed. I have a bunch of music from Glee that I can burn onto a disc and mail to you, if you haven't already bought it. Let me know. xo

10:43 AM  
Blogger e said...

I'm with you...Life is too short to be miserable and good for you!

I can't locate my old yoga instructor...many of the hatha asanas I can no longer do, so I'm looking for some good info on wheelchair yoga.

I hope this will be a happy year for you.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I would love a disc of Glee music! What a kind offer!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home