Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Giving



Seldom a week goes by without someone calling to ask for money.  There are the police, the firemen, a foundation for most every disease known for man, the walks-for-a-cure, the orphans in Israel, the natural disasters, and let’s not forget all those hungry Democrats.  They all seem to have our number and call it just when we are sitting down to dinner.
If we gave freely to each of these entities, we wouldn’t have much left.  As it turns out, we give generously to support things that matter a lot to us.  We mostly like to know how our money will be spent and make sure we’re not feeding a bureaucracy.
I’m ashamed to say that recently I have been ducking the system when I pick up the phone and it’s a solicitation.  I tell the person my husband takes care of this sort of thing (how unfairly sexist of me!) and he’s not available.  If the person is unreasonably obnoxious, I ask to be removed from the calling list.  By law, most organizations must respect such a request.  Unfortunately the politicians are exempt.
It’s tempting to think of dropping our land line and just relying on cell phones, where you are much less likely to get called.  
Right now I am considering making a generous contribution to anyone who is doing research to cure the flu.   I’m ready for my bout to be over and hope I never get it again.

7 Comments:

Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I say "I don't give out information over the phone so if you want to mail me the information I'll consider it." Because, really? They could be anybody saying anything.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

When I answer, I usually get "Mrs.?" I tell them she's dead (the truth - my mother was Mrs. ? and she's been gone for years.) I said that to enough callers and now I'm not bothered anymore :)

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the flu donation!!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughed out loud at your flu donation comment. I hope you and D are feeling better!

F.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

I was doing a web search for Dansk Generation Brown Mist and your blog came up. I, too, selected the stoneware in 1970 for the very same reason you did! I love and still use it every day, as I intended. I'm looking for some pasta bowls--larger size but like the rimmed soup bowls. I can't remember where I got them or when, but I didn't buy enough. Continue to enjoy your Dansk!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

I never take those calls, but if I did I would say I have my established charities and take my name off the list.

Last year I began 2010 with a really bad cold everyone seemed to have, and it turned into bronchitis, and then I took a bad fall in my hallway in February--bottom line: I wasn't feeling human again until late April (one-fourth of my year!) and it set my gardening so far back, nothing got done.

This year I made a wish to not start 2011 sickly. I had picked up that bad cold we all had, and mine started just before Christmas and ended somewhere around the end of January (bronchitis again.) I was so incredibly angry at this turn of events (given last year,) then I had about two weeks of health and guess what? I got your flu. Laid flat for a week. All I can timidly ask is, "Is that IT? Please?"

7:20 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Put me down for a sawbuck on the flun donation.
do you rememebr what i did when the credit card company called?
http://srevestories.blogspot.com/search?q=Takee-outee
Hi Barbara!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home