Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Creativity Lost


I feel like my creativity may be drying up. I don’t Blog so much any more. I don’t sew or make quilts. I don’t make cards. My creative side seems to be slipping away.

My days have become rather routine. I exercise and I practice the piano and I work on the trope for whatever upcoming Torah portion I am chanting. Although each of those things is productive, they are boringly repetitive and all done by myself.

My only creative activity these days seems to be cooking. Every week I deal with the challenge of using things we get in our CSA share so I don’t end up with a lot of rotting vegetables in the refrigerator. It’s a good outlet for creative juices, but once again I’m mostly on my own.

I’m certain I would be happier if I could figure out how to reclaim some other creative endeavors and find people to do them with. My whole life I’ve been fairly good at amusing myself. Being an only child gave me a lot of practice at that. But as I get older, I really want company.

I’m thinking of starting a sewing circle or an informal class in conversational Spanish or something that brings me together with like-minded people on a regular basis. I’m blessed with an abundance of time and enough money not to have to worry. It’s my own fault if I can’t figure out how to reclaim creativity!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Other than playing in music groups, I'm pretty much on my own for other types of "creative" activities. I like it that way because it's "me" time!

I think I would be taking some classes if I were in your position. It's always fun to learn something new and you get to have a new set of colleagues as part of the package. Maybe the adult education program in your county has courses in things you'd be interested in?

1:42 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Your creativity is still there...if it weren't you wouldn't be blogging at all! (And don't stop!)

I can understand the need for a social outlet. The sewing circle might be a good idea. I bet there's one near you already. You might not even have to start one up from scratch. Don't you do needlework too? And don't you have a book group? Or am I confused?

5:48 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Like Steve, I thought you had a book club too. Although that is social, I am not sure how creative it is. The work you do with the shelter kids is creative and social. And isn't the piano creative? Are there groups you can get involved with that have a musical focus. Perhaps you can take a sign language class. That'd be a good, social, creative challenge.

10:44 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I know I haven't commented in forever, but this really struck a nerve! I have been feeling much the same way - I haven't been writing, I haven't been juggling, I haven't been scrapbooking, I barely keep up with my blog. I need a jump start!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Sometimes creativity just needs to recharge.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I'm probably going to take a lot of classes in 3 years when as a VA resident I can attend GMU free, even including parking!

I am starting private music theory classes now with a guy at Levine School. I am so excited to be able to start to understand what I have been playing all these years!

Steve -- I do have a couples book group, which I helped to start 13 years ago. I really enjoy the monthly interaction when we get together to talk about the month's book.

I may pursue starting a similar group to do with sewing.

Gary -- I really value my experiences at the shelter. They have helped me see the world through the eyes of others who have seen some rough times.

I would love to learn sign language some day.

Bozoette -- Good to hear from you! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully it's temporary for both of us!

MS -- It's been a long time! I think you are probably right that creativity has its ups and downs. I might be starting on the way up again. Here's hoping!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home