Sunday, September 25, 2011

It's Time


This morning as I ate a delightful brunch in Hoboken, I remembered it was the equivalent of my “last supper.”  Guess what I’m doing tomorrow morning?
Yes, it’s time for my 5-year colonoscopy.  So I got to come home this afternoon and mix up a gallon of the most God-awful tasting stuff imaginable.  I ate clear chicken broth for dinner.  Then I started with 2 little Ducolax pills.  Now I’m drinking an 8-ounce glass of the yucky solution (flavored lemon-lime as if that would help) every 15 minutes for 2 hours.  The intent is to totally clean out my colon so it will be pink and beautiful tomorrow for the procedure.  Staying near a bathroom seems like a good idea.
I am planning not to remember a thing that happens during the event itself.  I learned the hard way on my first colonoscopy that twilight sleep doesn’t work for me (I ended up screaming through the entire procedure), so I will be totally knocked out with MAC anesthesia tomorrow.
Hopefully by noon I will be pronounced polyp-free and given a 5-year time frame for a repeat performance.  One way or the other, my liquid diet will be over and I can eat what I want once again.

8 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Good luck tomorrow....I share your sentiments about that nasty drink.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hey darling, I hope all goes well tomorrow. I did this a few years ago and for me it was no big deal. I only had to drink the stuff to prepare you but did it all at once (I believe) and twlight sleep was amazing. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

But the good news is it will be over by tomorrow at this time.

xo

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, that doesn't sound fun at all, but I'm glad you're staying on top of this. Hope all goes well and that you get the all-clear!

F.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I hope it went well. I've only done that once so far. Drinking that awful stuff in preparation was the worst part for me - it made me throw up and I never throw up.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I survived the drink and the procedure and I'm good to go for another 5 years! Hallelujah!

1:08 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I've found the prep to be much worse than the procedure. Wishing you an easy as possible experience and a terrific outcome.

5:03 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Should have read all the comments (including yours!) before I posted. So glad you got good news!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Glad to hear it went well! As lacochran said, the prep is worse than the actual event. I got knocked out for my last colonoscopy with propofol, the Michael Jackson drug, and I gotta say that was FABULOUS.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home