Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkish Torture


In any sort of physical training program, there is always something just out of your reach to which you are aspiring.  But how far out of your reach?
Last week my physical therapist decided to have me do a Turkish getup, figuring it would fire up my gluts and abs and virtually every part of my body.  From the get-go, I could see that this maneuver was way harder than anything else I had ever attempted.  By the end of the session, I had managed to do one small piece of it and I was totally exhausted and a little discouraged.  I’m sure my attitude did not seem overly positive.
We had an email conversation afterwards about this and I hoped it would be put off for a while until the necessary body parts could be strengthened through exercises I could more easily do.  But that didn’t seem to happen.
Instead I showed up today for my hour with my trainer (who works for the PT) and he once again attempted to convince my body it could do the Turkish getup.  Despite his words of encouragement, it still seemed pretty hopeless.
I understand that to progress we need to be challenged.  But my question is how challenged should that be?  It seems like it might be better to move through a series of progressively harder exercises which would give me some positive feedback along the way if I could actually do them.
I consider that I usually have a fairly optimistic attitude toward new things, but every now and then I am reminded just how far I still have to go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

I'm somewhat intrigued by that. I'll have to give it a try after my so far 5+ year break from exercising is complete.

Can you do it without the 25lb. weight, or is that for balance?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I haven't even attempted it with a weight yet.

9:32 PM  
Blogger e said...

Wow...I'm impressed that you tried...What is the goal you're trying to meet with this?

Have a nice turkey day.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- My goals are actually quite simple: to improve my posture and to walk more easily. This maneuver is way beyond my strength and ability. I'm still not sure if I have the right to say NO when asked to do something I know is too hard for me.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Did you suggest to your trainer that you want to move more incrementally? That seems like a reasonable request, though he (she?) might have a strong sense that you're ready to do this, whether you know it or not.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home