Monday, December 19, 2011

'Tis the Season

Not far from our house is a house where every holiday is immortalized with blow-up figures.  We can't figure out why they do it -- whether it's a business trying to attract customers or someone just has a thing for armies of inflated animals and people.

I was most surprised to drive by and see that even Hanukkah had been blown up!  This enormous Hanukkah bear is pretty cute.  He sits apart from his red-and-green compatriots as he guards his dreidel.  He was definitely in place before the start of Hanukkah tomorrow night.  It will be interesting to see if he stays for the entire season or comes down after the eighth day of Hanukkah.

I have bought a few little things for people who are important to me, but for the most part I have totally escaped the hustle and bustle of the shopping malls, with their angry parking lots.

I'm enjoying seeing old friends at a couple holiday get-togethers.  I'm also experiencing my yearly guilt when I receive holiday greetings from people I have know for decades but always seem to fail to send out my own.

My hope is that you are enjoying whatever ways you choose to celebrate the season!

4 Comments:

Blogger e said...

That bear is the largest Chanukah decoration I've ever seen...At least they remembered that more than Christmas occurs this time of year. I too have escaped the Christmas frenzy and do not miss it. Best to you and your family in 2012.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I am not a fan of those inflated decorations. I am a lover of lights--Christmas lights, Hanukkah candles, solstice celebrations, whatever. In this dark season light is such a reminder of joy and the turning of the earth and the constancy of the sun and the universe. Give me light, not blow-up Santas.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I used to love those big balloons in the Macy's parade when I was a kid -- but now inflatables are definitely not my thing. Tackorama!

4:26 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Angry parking lots, what a good way to put it! No, let`s not go along but just celebrate this year`s festive season, any way we like. I enjoy candles and lights, too, and home-made cookies and friends` calls (yes, and I DO love getting cards!)(but any time of year, it doesn`t have to be NOW). Not so much blown-up toys. But to each his own!
Happy Hanukkah, Barbara!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home