Friday, December 02, 2011

A New Old Trumpet


One night as I was getting ready to leave the shelter after reading to the younger kids, I saw David (age 10) in the office trying to resurrect an old abandoned trumpet.  It seemed rather hopeless.
I learned that he plays the trumpet at school.  I also learned how much he would really like an instrument he could call his own.  Possessions are especially important when you are homeless.
So I recently put out the word to all the people I know who either play the trumpet themselves or are in an orchestra of some sort.  I was willing to pay for an instrument, but not too much.
The only real offer I got came from Blogger Cyndy’s husband, who is a professional trombonist:
I have a "Regent" trumpet/cornet (Ohio Band Instrument Co.) from about 1940.  It's a quality built horn, not junk, and it's in excellent condition.  It's a special short instrument for smaller kids, sort of a cross between a trumpet and a cornet, but it takes a cornet mouthpiece, which is slightly different from a trumpet mouthpiece.   It has a case but no mouthpiece.  I'm working on finding a mouthpiece for it.
He did indeed find a mouthpiece for it and proposed a price I couldn’t refuse.  So tonight he dropped it off before going to a gig.  He had also included a brush and cleaning fluid.  The case is a little worn, but the horn is a beauty.  I only wish I could play it.
Now I am in search of someone who could give young David a few lessons, both in the care of his new trumpet and how to play it.  It seems like the perfect community service project for a teenager.  But it might also be fun for an older musician who would like to pass along his knowledge to a younger generation.
I’ve decided not to give David the trumpet until I find this person to get him started down the right path.  I’m sure just the right person will come along, just as the trumpet itself appeared.
******

At intermission at tonight's NSO concert, a young Temple Micah member who goes to Duke Ellington High School and will be off to play the trumpet at a conservatory next year, came up to me to say he would love to work with David.  He is absolutely perfect to be a trumpet mentor.  I just know this is going to work out well!

10 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

It's a long shot, but I contacted the daughter of a friend who lives near you. She is a musician and thus has musician friends. I hope she may know someone who could help you out.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- Thanks so much for taking this initiative. My PS to this post indicates I have found a person, but the more the merrier!

10:24 PM  
Blogger e said...

Best of luck...The only persons I would know at this point who might have musician contacts are here--the Cantor for my temple and a drummer. Of the two, the Cantor is probably the best bet. I'll ask the next time I see her.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great gift you're giving. You really make things happen.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow! That looks like a nice instrument! I think you're wise to wait to give it to him until he's had some lessons in caring for and playing it. Glad you found a tutor!

3:06 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Over and over again I am impressed with the way you notice what is needed and then find a way to provide it. You're a marvelous role model not only for kids but for retiring folks like me who are inspired by such actions! Thanks!

10:02 AM  
Blogger e said...

Terrific! I hope you'll let us know how the tutoring goes.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I'm so glad it all worked out!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Rubye Jack said...

What a beautiful story!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Alex Stewart said...

Nice Story. You really have good knowledge thanks for writing that.trumpet click is awesome.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home