Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie in Chile


We watched a compelling movie recently, a timely introduction to the far north of Chile where we will end our visit.  Nostalgia for the Light is a documentary by Patricio Guzmán, which takes place in the Atacama Desert, the driest place on the face of the earth.
It is a film about searching.  Astronomers are searching for answers about the origins of our galaxy, using the enormous telescopes constructed to probe the reaches of the universe.  At the same time women sift through the desert sands trying to find the remains of their loved ones imprisoned in Pinochet’s concentration camps.  
In this other-worldly beautiful place, the emotions of both groups of people are palpable as they go about their quests.  The exquisite photography makes it all the more meaningful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Lordy, this does not sound like a movie for a light evening with friends. In my first grade class we are studying the solar system so maybe I should check it out this week (on vacation!).

I am envious of all the traveling you do! I need to get out more.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

P.S. Just added it to my Netflix queue.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Judy Kramer said...

Have a wonderful trip!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

What an interesting combination of topics. It almost seems like two different movies. I'm going to see if I can download it from iTunes! (I really should join Netflix again...)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home