Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Longing for a Baby

Before you get worried, I am not the one doing the longing.

I have a good friend at work who would give anything to have a baby. She has dealt with about as many misfortunes as life can possibly give one person. She was abused as a child. She was actually living on the street for a time as a teenager. She married and had three children by the time she was 25. Her husband landed in jail after preying on their teenage daughter. After struggling for several years following their divorce, my friend met a wonderful man over the Internet and they have now been married for 2 years. They would really like to have a child of their own to reflect all the love they have for each other. But she had her tubes tied many years ago to avoid another pregnancy.

She laments the fact that she does not have $8,000 to pay for a reversal of her tubal ligation or any hope of coming up with this amount of money. I gave her a pep talk today with a couple of ideas:
(1) Start saving a small amount each pay period that will eventually pay for this procedure.
(2) Find a teaching hospital that might offer this surgery at a reduced cost.
I agreed to talk to my groovy GYN to see if he has any ideas.

In my new feeling of empowerment, I am more than ever convinced that we can make things happen if we want them strongly enough. I hope my friend will follow through on her dream. There will never be a baby more loved than the one she ultimately brings into the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home