Saturday, October 08, 2005

Reaction to My BLOG

It’s been almost a year now since Rebecca told me about her BLOG and suggested that I start writing my own. She also suggested that at first I not share the address with anyone, but rather that I just get used to writing and figuring out my style.

I did just that. At first writing was not so easy. I was too concerned about the finished product. I tended to write too much. But then it became easier and easier to just unload whatever was in my head at the moment. What an inexpensive therapy!

I had this fantasy that all my friends would start their own BLOGs, that we would read each other’s, and then exchange comments and e-mails, sort of the way Rebecca and her friends and family have done.

I am most curious about the reactions of the few people with whom I have shared my BLOG address or tried to.

Those people with whom I have a professional relationship – Rebecca, Deborah, Kathryn – have universally declined to read my BLOG. I don’t fully understand this, but I accept it. I have actually printed out several posts and shared them with Kathryn during therapy sessions, because after all, what better way to come to understand why I am the way I am.

Of my family, David will read my BLOG only when I insist. Occasionally he adds a comment. He started his own BLOG and stopped writing after 3 wonderful entries. Dan reads occasionally. Rachel refuses to look at my BLOG, declaring that she prefers to talk on the phone, which we rarely do.

Two of my friends actually read my BLOG and occasionally comment. I get regular e-mail from one of them. The other is a silent reader.

The last person to receive my BLOG address told me that she had found it and that it was interesting.

Then there is this group of people (everyone else) who have never acknowledged looking at my BLOG and in some cases I have never heard from them again by e-mail. What is that about? I don’t think anything I write is so weird or disturbing that it should cut off communication. Good heavens! I was hoping for just the opposite effect.

So I write away, never knowing exactly who (if anyone) is reading what I write. I am way beyond writing for an audience. It is just for me at this point. And that’s enough...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a silent reader. I love you and am interested in your life. I read all your postings. i think you are very brave to expose yourself. I'm glad you do.
FL

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog, having just recently found my way here via DC Blogs, which led to Grace's Poppies, which led me here. On the it's a small world front, I also happen to be a member of Temple Micah.

I've really enjoyed what I've read so far, and appreciate you sharing your experiences and reflections.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home