Friday, October 07, 2005

TGIF

This has been a hard week for many reasons. Rosh Hashanah fell smack dab in the middle of the week, meaning that Monday night and all day Tuesday were taken up with services and related activities. Then we had choir practice for Yom Kippur on Thursday night.

The day after Rosh Hashanah I swore off all forms of caffeine. I hadn’t realized how hooked I was! I have had a dull headache for the past 3 days. It is just starting to feel better. This is in preparation for fasting on Yom Kippur. I wonder if I will actually pull this off?

Work is really becoming quite demanding. The Census Bureau is tantalizing Congress with all the post-Katrina data we can produce and I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders as they look to me to produce it. I’m back to working hard all day long and even waking up at night thinking about work. YUK! I was hoping to sort of coast out of the place, gradually reducing my responsibilities as I approached retirement. I guess it’s not going to happen that way. I have major deadlines starting later in October and extending through the middle of next year. I have one employee who is not a well person and is on multiple medications, making it hard for him to focus on work. I don’t have that big a staff, so I really count on everyone to pull his or her weight. So this makes it hard.

My upcoming thyroid surgery and the after treatment still occupy a lot of my thoughts. I have questions and am not even sure to whom to address them. My wonderful endocrinologist’s last day at WHC was September 30. Deborah suggested another doctor at WHC, who is probably the head of the department of endocrinology. But so far I have left two messages for him that have not been returned. This is not really Deborah’s field, so I can’t expect her to answer my questions. I just have several lingering questions about the radioactive iodine treatment. I’m sure Deborah will help me get the answers I need eventually.

I’m really looking forward to a relaxing weekend without a lot of scheduled activities. I’m reading the next book for our book club, The World Is Flat, but Thomas Friedman. So far a VERY interesting read, but I still have 500 pages to go. I’m playing with Deborah on Monday, so at some point I should get back to practicing the piano.

But for now, a glass of wine as I let the worries of the week slide away. TGIF!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home