Monday, October 24, 2005

Therapy Is Not Over Yet

I had a long (free) talk with Kathryn today, spilling my guts about how unhappy I was that money was coming between us as we tried to deal with what is going on in my head and heart. I wasn’t sure how this would go. I never made apologies for my feelings or my solution to the problem which was the following:

I recognize that I need to be in a weekly therapy session to get the most out of our work together. Therefore I will make every effort to be there weekly. But there will be times when I am on vacation or out of town for work or when I am just too sick to benefit from therapy. I will not be coming on those days, nor will I be willing to reschedule or pay, if I have given at least 48 hours of notice. I also stressed that I NEVER again wanted to discuss this during a therapy session.

What did she say? See you Thursday at 7 AM. I guess she decided she could still do a considerable amount of landscaping with the money I paid her, even if I missed 10 weeks a year! She was actually quite reasonable about the whole thing and earned my respect for her willingness to back down on what seemed to be a hard-and-fast policy last week. Maybe I am learning to be assertive when I really believe in my position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home