Sunday, October 09, 2005

Time for a Palm Pilot

As I was on my way to an appointment with Rebecca today, I suddenly realized that I had really screwed something up. For months I have been suggesting that my Wednesday night meditation group have a picnic and an outdoor sit. I even suggested that it could be this Wednesday, when I was planning to anchor (lead) the group. We had talked about who was bringing what and who was coming. But I’d completely forgotten that Wednesday night is Kol Nidre, the beginning of Yom Kippur. I will be joining the Temple Micah choir to sing for the evening service.

I’m usually so good about scheduling, refusing to use an electronic device, even to write anything down, simply keeping it in my head. It’s my form of mental discipline. But now I had double-booked Wednesday night.

What to do? I put out a message to the other people who come to meditation. One person suggested that we cancel the outdoor sit and dinner and do it when more people could attend. I feel badly that I can’t even communicate with one of these people because he doesn’t have an e-mail address. So he may show up a half hour early and bring food to share with the group.

I keep asking myself how these two important parts of my life could have been kept so separate, so isolated from each other. My Type-A feeling of responsibility makes me feel guilty when things like this happen. But after all, I am just human. And humans screw up from time to time.

Maybe a Palm Pilot would help...

1 Comments:

Blogger Dsquared said...

who knows, you might come to like it. it wasn't that long ago, you weren't so keen on the internet and knew zippo about blogs!

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home