Friday, November 11, 2005

A Different View of Time

David’s retirement two years ago was a big change for us. It meant that I became the primary breadwinner, that he was fast asleep when I left for work every day, and that he shopped and cooked dinner during the week. Believe me, it was worth it just for this last one!

My life is packed with way many more things than there are room for. I won’t even begin to list all the things I do on a regular basis. Then there is piano practicing and reading books for two book clubs. When I say I don’t have any spare time, I mean it!

David, on the other hand, has not accepted a paying job since his retirement. He has instead thrown himself into a major learning and producing project, which is gratis for the recipient. He has built a website extraordinaire for Temple Micah. We would be so rich if this job had been at even $10 per hour, work that usually goes for upwards of $100 per hour. He is happier than I have ever seen him, soaking up the compliments and continuing to polish and improve his product.

With that said, I still have to scratch my head when he tells me how overworked and just plain busy he is. Notice I didn’t say stressed. But is this how retirement is supposed to be?

Today is an interesting day. I have a holiday – Veterans’ Day – where I am paid to sit home and write in my BLOG or do whatever I damn well please. And David? For him, either every day is a holiday or there are no holidays; all days are just the same. He has an interview this afternoon with a very RICH synagogue which wants a website. It will be interesting to see where this takes him. Sometimes it isn’t nearly as much fun to do something when it becomes a paying job with fixed deliverables and demanding clients.

My only hope is that he will still continue to cook dinner every day, at least until he is once again earning more than I am...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home