Thursday, February 09, 2006

Rx Reluctantly

My nose has continued to be a mess for almost 2 weeks. Despite the saline suggestions provided by Cube and others, it was just not getting better. Plus I seemed to be going into a brain fog.

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and went to see Deborah with her doctor’s hat on. She can’t quite bring herself to call me Ms. Diskin in her office any longer, but she does look so doctorly in her compulsory white coat. She went through the usual set of questions (like what color is the sputum?), peered into all the orifices of my head, and came up with a diagnosis. Meanwhile, I actually voiced my worst fear and asked whether I could have leukemia, one of the little advertized side effects of my recent radiation treatment. She very calmly told me that it would take a lot longer than a month to contract leukemia, probably thinking to herself, "Is this friend of mine a totally paranoid hypochondriac?" Instead she declared that I had a sinus infection and put me on antibiotics, asking if there was anything I was allergic to.

She asked if I normally get a yeast infection when I take antibiotics. I can’t remember the last time I took antibiotics for anything. It had to be 15 years ago. You see, I just never get sick in the ordinary ways that most people get sick. But I do recall yeast infections in the past, so she wrote out a prescription for something to combat this nasty problem if it should occur. Isn’t it strange that fixing one thing breaks another? Our bodies must get so tired of these invasive interventions we keep throwing at them.

I started my Rx yesterday, waiting for the onset of an itch between my legs. So my winter nose is supposedly on the mend. Between my foggy infected head and several glasses of wine last night at a friend’s house, I was probably not such great company, but it was so nice to be cooked for and to just have some down time for pleasant conversation in my life that is way too busy these days, especially for someone whose body has been so invaded in the recent past. I have to learn how to take better care of myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

Here's to better health...through chemicals. ;)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Taking care of yourself is definitely a good thing. I'm glad you're on the mend.

12:47 PM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

Eat yogurt. Lots of yogurt. Active cultures = less chance of itch.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

In Chinese medicine, antibiotics are considered to be "cold" so you're supposed to eat warming foods like ginger and spices. Avoid salads and fruit. The yoghurt works really well if you start eating tons of it right after you stop the antibiotics. You're still being cleansed for some reason - antibiotics are powerful drugs. May you be cleansed and freed of all external pernicious influences! (as they say in TCM)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to some of my favorite Blogger friends for the well-wishes and advice. Sounds like I need to stock up on yogurt. I am going to have a tough time giving up salads and fruit. Reya -- what is TCM?

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home