Monday, January 30, 2006

Degreed Enough

My summer away at Math Camp at FSU (for high school students) when I was 17 resulted in my first serious boyfriend and the expectation by those who taught us nerdy kids that I would go on to get a PhD someday. At that point in my life, I was much more concerned about the boyfriend.

I was one of those serious students who seldom made less than an A and didn't fit in terribly well in a high school in northern Florida where the most important subject was football. From my first quarter at FSU, I knew that I was going to major in math, not giving myself any chance to just try some other things. By the time I got through four years of college with a 3.75 GPA, I needed a break from school and I had already realized that theoretical mathematics was not terribly exciting.

Fortunately I had worked in the computer center at FSU for those 4 years, so I had marketable skills. I took the GREs and did reasonably well, but I decided to take a break and work for a year before going to grad school. I moved the Washington, DC, and took at job as a computer programmer.

I quickly realized that I didn't really need an advanced degree to do what I was doing. In fact, it wouldn't have helped my career path in the least. Besides, I was having a lot more fun now that I was not worrying about getting all A's. Just to test the waters, I took at graduate class in computer science at the U of Maryland, where I worked by butt off to get an A and reaffirmed the fact that I was happier not going to school.

I have always felt like I disappointed someone by not pursuing an advanced degree. I mean, there was that stated expectation when I was 17 and I had never come through. As I look around my office now at people who actually did go to graduate school, I realize that whereas I am now eligible to retire, they are not because they don't have the requisite number of years of service. Perhaps this is my way of rationalizing the fact that I never did what was expected of me.

The truth is that I love going to school. I can't imagine anything better than being able to attend classes that don't count for ANYTHING! I intend to do plenty of this when I retire. But definitely not in math or computer science. I will probably take classes in writing, poetry, English lit, religion, philosophy, psychology – all the things that I missed because I was on such a math track before and I was convinced that I couldn't write. I can't wait to go back to school just for the love of learning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Me thinks I saw this post a-brewin last night!

While I was a business undergrad and got my MBA, if I went back I would definitely take a writing or English Lit class. I would love to do that.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Go to band camp. Learn the flute.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

My plan is the piano.....I did get the MBA which put me in a better income bracket but like you in retirement I will go for fun!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- Yep, all that talk about degrees raised my guilt index!

Cube and Kate -- Maybe I'll learn the flute so I can play duets with Kate on piano. Or we could make this a trio if Cube would like to join us...

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home